Phonographs in Anime

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Phonographs in Anime

Post by MordEth »

This is another re-posted message, originally posted on 25 November, 2008 @ 14:31 on The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board:

I took a screen capture of this a while ago, to show to Neophone, and after talking to Amberola 1-A, I thought I should get around to posting these for your enjoyment.

The first image is from an anime entitled Ghost Hunt which deals with the investigation of the paranormal, and is taken from a scene inside a classroom in episode 15:

And here is the poster that appears in that screen capture above:

The Japanese are quite enamored with their phonographs, and it surprises me just how often these types of things appear in anime (Japanese animation, although to the Japanese, Western animation such as Disney would be considered “anime”). I may post further images as I come across them...at one point I’d hit Neophone with quite a few images. ;)

I do really like this poster.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

MordEth
Victor IV

Re: Phonographs in Anime

Post by MordEth »

Here is another re-post, from 30 November, 2008 @ 13:58 on The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board:

This is a generic phonograph that appears in episode 15 of Gankutsuou (an anime adaptation of The Count of Monte Christo which bizarrely takes place in space):

This particular scene takes place on the count’s space ship, and in the first image he (right) and Albert de Morcef (left) are enjoying music played on it. It’s a very interesting anime (at least to me) because of how gaudily textured everything is; very few things have solid colors, almost everything has some pattern mapped to it, which you can see in the furniture and the (wallpapered?) external horn machine. This is particularly true of the characters; their hair and clothing are textured in the same manner.

Anyway, hopefully you enjoy getting to see more Japanese pop culture representations of phonographs.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Well, as stated at our previous place, it still amazes me how detailed the phonos are.

MordEth
Victor IV

Post by MordEth »

WDC wrote:Well, as stated at our previous place, it still amazes me how detailed the phonos are.
I agree completely. I need to dig out more stuff and take screen captures—this is only the tip of the iceberg.

— MordEth