Question about late production Model B machines.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Question about late production Model B machines.

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I know for a certain time in late 1908 and 1909 Edison manufactured and sold Model B machines even after the Model D machines were released. My question is why didn’t Edison immediately cease production of Model B Standards, Homes, ect. After they were made obsolete with the introduction of Model D machines? Is it because Edison didn’t want to waste parts? And we’re the later production Model B machines sold at a discounted price as opposed to the Model D machines just to quickly get rid of old stock? Or were they the same price? And were later Model B machines sold with the Added on 2/4 minute gearing when new? Or were they sold as strictly 2 minute machines? Thanks. Hopefully you can bear my Oddly specific questions.

Chuck
Victor III
Personal Text: Richards Laboratories http://www.richardslaboratories.com producing high quality cylinder blanks

Re: Question about late production Model B machines.

Post by Chuck »

Yup. The way I understand it, Edison had a very large
inventory of parts. He did not ever want to waste
anything. So he used up all the parts he had on
hand in any way that he could.
"Sustained success depends on searching
for, and gaining, fundamental understanding"

-Bell System Credo

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I wonder if the majority of late Bs were sold as two minute machines or was the combination gearing provided? Was there a price difference between the B and D Standard?

Jerry Blais

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Also, early Model D machines used model B cases along with the earlier pin striping around the bedplate. When Edison came out the the new models, he used up old stock. The case in point is the Long case Home with red banner decal, ant the early Model B with the earlier Model A black banner decal.
Harvey Kravitz

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

There are a few late Model B Standards that I suspect were fitted with the 2&4 minute attachment at the factory and sold as new "Combination" machines. I'm sure there was a fair amount of unsold Model B stock. Many of the last Model B Standards got used as ICS Language Study machines. 4 minute home recording didn't come about until (I think) 1912. I believe that ICS didn't go to the 4 minute format until about 1915, so two minute machines like the Model B, Model C and converted Model D Standards would have been welcomed although otherwise obsolete.

Martin

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

"My question is why didn’t Edison immediately cease production of Model B Standards, Homes, ect. After they were made obsolete with the introduction of Model D machines?"

Edison would have just sold off whatever supplies could not be re-used or whatever was still left in stock. If he already had "Assembled" Model B machines in leftover in Edison stock,.. I am more than sure that they would have been sold at a minor discount and sold along with a "4-minute Combination attachment" as well...or a Edison Jobber/Dealer would have at least tried to sell a "4-minute Combination attachment" along with any 2-Minute machines at the time 4-minute machines were just coming out... It would have been stupid not to. Just read any Edison Dealer literature of the day (Edison Phonograph Monthly) and you can see what exactly was being pushed to Dealers and buyers by the Edison Phonograph Inc.

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer