Good for parts?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Good for parts?

Post by Amberola 1-A »

This machine has so many issues, but I must say that the Reproducer is a rare bird. It's the first time I've seen the later Mod. M for sale either alone or on a machine with the truncated weight.

:clover:
Check with your dealer for the latest Edison Records!

JohnM
Victor V

Re: Good for parts?

Post by JohnM »

I have a mahogany Amberola I-A/Opera hybrid similar to this one, but mine is nickel-plated, including the horn adapter elbow. I have seen five of these hybrids over the years counting this one on eBay. At least four had West Coast locations when found or sold. I wish I knew the origin of the horn adapter elbows! My best guess is that someone made these up when Operas were only worth $150 and I-A's less than that! Personally, I love mine because I have the appearance and sonic quality of an Opera with the convenience of 2/4 gearing. I get the impression that the seller is playing the farmer in the description, but I don't think it is a machine to be ashamed of if only for practical purposes . . . and certainly not until the age/origin of these machines/horn elbows is discovered. BTW, mine has a full-weight M. I've posted pix of it before on other boards, but here it is again. My mech was NOT in a case when it was found -- no horn or crank either (something to think about, there) . . . I had to find on Opera case to drop it in and a horn . . . these photos were taken before it was cased. I would like to see how the crank m/f situation was resolved on the eBay machine!

John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

Imagine, $4250.00 (rounded off not including shipping) for this. I know the Reproducer is a scarce one, the bed plate is eh, the horn looks like a Don Gefell horn and the elbow doesn't fit in either the standard Opera or the Cygnet style. (what's going on with that extra piece halfway down?) The side handles, well someone's bureau is missing two drawer pulls. No lid! (I wonder if one would fit with that horn/reproducer stanchion) Is this a case of buyer ignorance or was the bidding solely on the parts?
:clover:

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Well, let's see . . . $1400 for a mech, $1500 for an M, $1400 for a Don Gfell horn with elbow, $700 for a case = $5K. The buyer did alright I'd say. John M

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

JohnM wrote:Well, let's see . . . $1400 for a mech, $1500 for an M, $1400 for a Don Gfell horn with elbow, $700 for a case = $5K. The buyer did alright I'd say. John M
Hmmmmmm......well the most recent M (although not the rarer one went for $800.00) the horn elbow is a amalgam, the case has been ruined by routing out (poorly) that slot for the master shut-off. No lid, the bed plate is ok. Not worth it in my book. But different values, I suppose. It will always be what it is.

Bill

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

I didn't realize the bottom had dropped out of the 'value' of M reproducers so drastically! Wesn't all that long ago they were fetching a much higher number. The case would also have to be filled/redrilled for a different crank hole and I did have to enlarge the opening in the top frame of mine In spots to accomodate the pivot bosses under the bedplate. The case I used was rough to begin with and needed a great deal of work to bring it back to life, but It does have it's original Opera handles on it. The horn stanchion on mine has been modified to accept the horn adapter so the threaded collar and it's retaining ferrule are gone so you couldn't mount an Amberola horn back to if you wanted to without those parts or a new stanchion, so what do you do with a machine like this but sit back and enjoy it? It may not be factory, but neither are Don Gfell's 'fantasy' horns. I still say that some if not all of these were produced long enough ago that their own story may be significant or at least interesting. Isn't it strange that I have a mech that wasn't installed in a case with the oxidized bronze mandrel in perfect condition -- how long ago was it made up? Mine was the only phonograph item that came from the estate of a radio collector in California. As found, it was stacked on a pallet and covered with dust. At any rate, I love the convenience of mine and listen to it as much as I do either of my Operas! You are absolutely right, it is what it is, but what exactly are these?
John
Last edited by JohnM on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

I purchased a nice M on eBAY some months ago for ~$900, (with truncated weight) and I saw the one go recenly for $800. Oddly just a week or so ago there was another M on eBAY that went for $1600!

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

There you go . . . I suppose it can sometimes be a matter of timing in relation to how badly someone wants/needs one at that moment!
John M