Quality comparison of NEW steel needles

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Quality comparison of NEW steel needles

Post by estott »

The needles I got from Mike Child recently are a;so like the bottom image. They are giving me good results.

I think the plating is to prevent corrosion- unprotected raw steel could rust quickly in a humid atmosphere.

(I see that my posts have a following in the UK)
Last edited by estott on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Yes, the plating would have zero impact on the ease of which the needle point can be filed to the shape of the groove. It is there pure and simple to protect the steel from corrosion as estott has said.

MyOldPhonograph
Victor Jr

Post by MyOldPhonograph »

Hello. I just wanted to say thank you for all the kind words about the Siren SpearPoint needles and the Loud, Medium and Soft tone needles I have been producing and selling to all of you over the years. I do hope you know that your kind words and positive feedback has been helping me produce a better product and has kept me going all this time. I'm not rich from making these needles. It's knowing that I have collectors and enthusiasts such as yourself that actually use them to keep the music alive. As always, you can find my needles on my website or through ebay too. Thank you for your ongoing support! John from Chamberlain Phonograph Needle Co., St. Paul, MN. http://www.MyOldPhonograph.com

phono-smitten
Victor I

Post by phono-smitten »

I've experimented a bit with the Siren spear tipped needles and have a question about the intended use. When using regular needles I fully seat the needle in the chuck but if I do this with a Siren needle the top of the 'spear' touches the chuck so I have been pulling it out a bit to clear the chuck before tightening the screw. This just seemed logical to me but I'm wondering if this is correct.

Kryptosmaster
Victor O
Personal Text: Too lazy to find a small avatar pic so picked this one from the site. LOL

Post by Kryptosmaster »

phono-smitten wrote:I've experimented a bit with the Siren spear tipped needles and have a question about the intended use. When using regular needles I fully seat the needle in the chuck but if I do this with a Siren needle the top of the 'spear' touches the chuck so I have been pulling it out a bit to clear the chuck before tightening the screw. This just seemed logical to me but I'm wondering if this is correct.

I'm curious of the orientation of the spear tip. I gathered from a previous post that they can be put in either way but which way produces which effect?
I'll call each orientation as follows:
Parallel, meaning the flattened area faces out when looking at the face of the reproducer.
Perpendicular, meaning the flat would face the bezel ring or towards the front of the machine.

MyOldPhonograph wrote:Hello. I just wanted to say thank you for all the kind words about the Siren SpearPoint needles and the Loud, Medium and Soft tone needles I have been producing and selling to all of you over the years. I do hope you know that your kind words and positive feedback has been helping me produce a better product and has kept me going all this time. I'm not rich from making these needles. It's knowing that I have collectors and enthusiasts such as yourself that actually use them to keep the music alive. As always, you can find my needles on my website or through ebay too. Thank you for your ongoing support! John from Chamberlain Phonograph Needle Co., St. Paul, MN. http://www.MyOldPhonograph.com

I ordered a three pack from eBay consisting of soft, medium and siren tips. Admittedly these are the only needles I've ever used because it's my first phonograph but I find them wonderful and am about ready to order more. I haven't determined if I will order the mix pack again or separate sizes. I have never used a loud needle. Is there a big difference between the loud and sirens?
Richard.....

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Here is my theory, without the embarrassment of having any real, actual, scientifically tested data :)

The key to positioning Siren needles is the desired loudness. The needle is thinner at the flat point, and therefore more flexible and the tone softer, when the plane of the flat part is positioned parallel to the groves of a lateral cut record. Conversely, when the plane runs across the grove there is less flexibility and therefore a louder tone.

The principle is the same as is behind loud needles being thick and soft needles being thin.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

phono-smitten
Victor I

Post by phono-smitten »

I haven't experimented with vertical vs horizontal positioning of the 'spear' on the Siren needles. It hadn't occurred to me until I read the posts here because the description of the Siren on MyOldPhonograph.com lists the tone as falling between loud and medium. I'm certainly curious now.

I have found myself grabbing a Siren for particularly noisy discs. They seem to get a bit better sound out of them.
Kryptosmaster wrote:I haven't determined if I will order the mix pack again or separate sizes.
I like to keep a variety of needle sizes on hand because there is a lot of varience in the sound of different discs.

carylee
Victor O

Post by carylee »

phono-smitten wrote:I haven't experimented with vertical vs horizontal positioning of the 'spear' on the Siren needles. It hadn't occurred to me until I read the posts here because the description of the Siren on MyOldPhonograph.com lists the tone as falling between loud and medium. I'm certainly curious now.

I have found myself grabbing a Siren for particularly noisy discs. They seem to get a bit better sound out of them.
Kryptosmaster wrote:I haven't determined if I will order the mix pack again or separate sizes.
I like to keep a variety of needle sizes on hand because there is a lot of varience in the sound of different discs.
I've been using mostly Siren needles since I first bought some a couple months ago. I do plan on ordering more, since I'm finding that I'm using them probably 5 to 1 over others. Compared to other needles, including other Chamberlain needles, the Sirens do seem to create a "fuller" sound on my Brunswick Ultona. My player came with a bunch of disks, and some of them are pretty wore. The Siren, for whatever reason, does seem to push the background noise further into the background. On some electrically recorded disks, it seems the Siren can cause the reproducer to "overdrive" somewhat. I'm slowing learning where to use a "soft tone" needle.

I too have thought about what position they should be in, but have not experimented with positioning yet. It would be interesting to see if there is a noticeable difference in tone.
"Before we start, the Steinway people have asked me to say that I'm playing a Baldwin piano tonight.." -Victor Borge

welshfield
Victor II

Post by welshfield »

About 20 years ago I purchased a large box (500?) of loud-tone needles from Antique Phono Supply (APSCO). I really have not used them but shortly will need needles and wondered about using these. They have the "pen shaped" point, more or less. I am questioning this because I never see reference to this supplier on this forum and wonder about their quality and credibility.

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Can't speak to needles specifically, but in general I have found APSCO to be very good. I have bought a number of parts from them and they have always been good quality.

I would be a little nervous about using loud tone needles as my default needle choice. They are so stiff I expect they likely cause more record wear.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.