Quality comparison of NEW steel needles

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victrolacollector
Victor V

Re: Quality comparison of NEW steel needles

Post by Victrolacollector »

I am not a expert on needles. I have tried many needles. I have used needles sold by APSCO, they seem to be good and I believe these were made many years ago by a major manufacturer that originally made them back in the day. I spoke with one of the reps at this company and tried to have some made and packaged, and unless you have them do a large run it is just not economically feasible.

I have used needles sold by Paul Ladd out in NE Indiana(purchased back in 1993), and they are the grey looking unplated ones. I am not sure if it was imagination but these seemed to be very good needles with strong tone and held up good.

I have used Pfanstiehl, Chamberlain, Bry-O-Phonics etc, they all seem to be good, the Bry-O-Phonics were purchased in 1994 at only 1.49 per pack, that is cheap now! If I remember the Bry-O-Phonics would only last through a play, but maybe I am wrong.

I have also used needles through Edisonia, they are also good quality.

Most needles distributors products seem very good, and are reasonable in price. I am still looking to try Mike Childs and Walt Sommers needles! When I can afford it I will try out there needles.

I would like to find a needle that is very close or identical to the Victor needles, and since I do not want to disturb neighbors, I am finding the soft tone and medium tone work best for me.

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

So while this topic is near the top again, I figure I'll try to gain a little clarity. Earlier, there was talk of a needle lasting "two, even three sides, before you begin to hear distortion." I don't understand this. Is that really ok to do? Wait until I begin to hear distortion? I've been alternating between Walt's needles and Chamberlains (mostly soft) and for one side only, all the time. Could I be saving more money (I go through hundreds a month)? Nothing much more valuable than, like, Bix red labels ... common Whitemans ... etc. I always examine my used needle, roll it between my thumb/forefinger in front of a light, and see the tip flash at me, then I'm done with it. How could I get a second play, even a third play, out of that needle?
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Considering the cost of an individual needle, as compared to the bulk prices, it's best to err on the side of caution and discard them after one play.

Bill

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

Lucius1958 wrote:Considering the cost of an individual needle, as compared to the bulk prices, it's best to err on the side of caution and discard them after one play.

Bill

I would agree with this.

New needles are still being made.

As far as I know, new discs are not... :monkey:
De Soto Frank

Johnny Smoke
Victor O

Post by Johnny Smoke »

I change needles after every play, after all , record degredation happens even with a new quality needle -it is just the nature of the beast. The only way to minimize this degredation is a new needle each play.
I use Chamberlin or Walts needles because I know they are well made, and will not harm my records. These 50+ year old ears cannot tell any difference in sound or quality anyhow! :lol: Rock on, Johnyy
Last edited by Johnny Smoke on Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

I agree, I used to do more than one play, but they are so easy to get, just use one play and discard, you will notice less wear to your records.

Kryptosmaster
Victor O
Personal Text: Too lazy to find a small avatar pic so picked this one from the site. LOL

Post by Kryptosmaster »

I'll usually reuse an old needle when I'm tossing the record. I run across damaged, cracked, etc records while going through a bulk purchase and I usually want to hear it once before I toss it out so I figure why waste a new needle on it.
Richard.....

celticguitar666
Victor I
Personal Text: V V IXA ,Edison Amberola 30 Edison A150 Victor RE45 Radiola

Post by celticguitar666 »

I do the one needle one record approach using medium needles from Walt they work well sound great but.... and I do listen to them reguarly with my Victrola here comes the caveat if I really (here come the heresy) want to hear the record nicely with very little wear I use my Garrard 78 TT setup with a diamond needle tracking around 3-4 grams. Probably alot of you here do the same? heresy I know but it does save the records over steel needles for daily regular play
Dwight
Hippocrates: Life is short, art long, opportunity fleeting, experience deceptive, judgment difficult.

Johnny Smoke
Victor O

Post by Johnny Smoke »

I wonder how many plays one can get from a unused record using a new needle every time? Hundreds, at least. Regards, Johnyy

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

Mica Monster,
A simple PM to you would sufficed to correct you rather than a public "taking you to task" as if you were a child. You have always been forthright as I see it.