Edison Concert Phonograph Dilemma!!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
flashpanblue
Victor III

Edison Concert Phonograph Dilemma!!

Post by flashpanblue »

Hello,
I purchased an Edison Drawer model Concert machine at the recent Union show. There were several to choose from at the show, but they all seem to suffer from the same problem. When you run the machine without a cylinder on the mandrel it sounds like a mini cement mixer! I guess over the years some metal bits, perhaps solder that has oxidized has come loose inside the mandrel and causes a tinkling sound as it turns. It is very distracting! I was wondering if anyone has come up with a solution to this problem? I noticed that on all of my Triumph mandrels they have two holes drilled in the left side closest to the feed shaft. I am not sure what purpose they serve? I am considering doing something like this on the Concert mandrel. I could drill a small hole near were the mandrel attatches to the feed shaft and shake out through the hole all the metal bits that are making the noise. Any thoughts??? I know that I will receive a lot of flack for suggesting drilling a hole ,but I am not sure what else could be done?
Pete

Andersun
Victor III

Re: Edison Concert Phonograph Dilemma!!

Post by Andersun »

My Concert has the same problem. I think the mandrel is pressed on the shaft but I am afraid to try and remove it so I have lived with the noise which is not as bad with a cylinder on it.

Steve

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

It has been many years since I restored my Triumph, however, I seem to recall that the mandrel came off the shaft that was frozen in place due to a swollen pot metal bushing. After replacing the bushing I was able to press the mandrel back on the shaft. I am going from memory here, so proceed with caution and take any advice you get here from others who have better data.

If that does not work, my suggestion would be to drill a hole in the SIDE of the mandrel, NOT one of the ends. If you drill in one of the ends, it will always be visible. If drilled in the side, it would be hidden when playing and you could always rotate it out of view when no cylinder is on the mandrel. Drill a hole just big enough to be able to spray some 3M spray adhesive inside and allow the loose bits to stick.

Others may have better ideas or variations on the above. Good luck!
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

Larry Hawes
Victor O

Post by Larry Hawes »

Your earlier reply is spot on. I have encoundered this problem over the years and have corrected it in two ways. The 3M way works well and with the small spray spout rod like the WD40 attachment this works perfect and the hole is small. Spray into the hole and make sure you have the machine wound up and ready to go as soon as you take the spray rod out of the hole as the 3M drys very fast. Be liberal with the spray as it has no weight and no one is going to see this anyway.

Second method. A bit more mechanical stuff needed here and works only if the fragments are steel or cast, not brass or copper. If you have a friend who is an electricity nut ask if he can pull out his electric magnet (used to magnetize metal) and slide it over the mandral. It causes all the metal flakes to band together and works on the steel mandrals (not on aluminum ones sorry). It works and no hole. I know sounds like I am creating monster but both methods have worked for me. Good luck, Hawes

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Pete,

Please do NOT drill a hole in the mandrel. You have a choice machine that will be reduced in value for having an extra hole in it. Frankly, I would not buy a machine that someone drilled a stray hole into. My Concert does this too. When it's playing you don't even notice it. It's what they all seem to do, that's how they are.

flashpanblue
Victor III

Post by flashpanblue »

Hi Jerry,
Yes that's why I called it a dilemma! I appreciate all the input. I think for now i will just clean and oil the machine and leave it the way it is. Who knows maybe in the future someone will come up with a less intrusive solution.
Pete

RefSeries
Victor I

Post by RefSeries »

I had a similar problem with a Standard a while ago and found that with care the mandrel can be sweated off the shaft and the inside cleaned out. It can then be reassembled. I looks to me as though the mandrels were originally shrunk on and there is no evidence of solder or other fixing agent.

Having said that, it would take great courage to do the same to a Concert!

BTW I would avoid drilling holes in anything, as has been posted elsewhere.

MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Post by MicaMonster »

STOP THE BUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

The "tinking" noise is always a small piece of solder, or a solder bubble that has broken loose. Although sweating the feedscrew shaft and removing it from the mandrel is a great idea, here is something I've done that has worked 100% of the time for me

Remove the mandrel from the machine. Shake it like a rattle to get any more loose bits inside the mandrel to come loose. Hold the mandrel at a steep angle so that all the little bits of solder roll downhill and collect into the joint between the mandrel cylinder and the end cap.

Use a candle and gently heat that joint where all the solder has collected. You COULD use a torch, but you do not want to discolor the nickel plating. If you elect to use a torch, use a VERY low flame.

The idea is to warm the area that has all the solder spittle until the solder melts and joins to the metal in that corner of the mandrel.

Again, this has worked for me 100% of the time, that being more than a dozen times on both concert and standard mandrels.

Best Of Luck,

Wyatt
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!

flashpanblue
Victor III

Post by flashpanblue »

Hi Wyatt,
This sounds like a very good solution! I will give it a try next week and report on the results. Is there any chance that the candle flame will change the color of the nickle finish??
thanks
Pete
P.S. I am enjoying the Mahogany Opera I bought from you! I have not done anything with the splits in the horn yet.

Andersun
Victor III

Post by Andersun »

Wyatt,
Thanks for the great advice!