recession

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Moooperator
Victor I

Re: recession

Post by Moooperator »

3vic, We might need to take up a collection for you... you had a Freudian slip there and said not look food... food must be on your mind! ;) All joking aside you and Ken's on my prayer list. I know a smart cookie like him will land something soon, If he can catch you then he's gotta be good!

Peace,

Mooo

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

What recession?

Yeesh....................

Kansas City Kitty

Bill
Check with your dealer for the latest Edison Records!

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

I'm in St. Augustine right now and plan to attend the Orlando show, but only on Friday for the flea market. Can anyone on the board tell me specifically where that event will be held and at what time?

Thanks!
John M

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

John M wrote:I'm in St. Augustine right now and plan to attend the Orlando show, but only on Friday for the flea market. Can anyone on the board tell me specifically where that event will be held and at what time?

Thanks!
John M
John,

Here you go: The 13th Orlando Antique Phonograph Show & Sale, January 24, 2009

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

maginter
Victor II

Post by maginter »

I have slowed down, but that was happening before the recession. I was working my way down form over 80 phonographs to a more managable number. That many is just not right... However that being said, there have been some that I have let slip by that I would have liked to have. Over Christmas I did pick up a Zenith Model 75. I know, I am talking about an electric on a more less acoustic site. The Model 75 is almost as rare as my Columbia 990. I only know of one, maybe two Zenith's besides the one I picked up. So, I wasn't about to let this one go by. That was the first one I have purchased for my collection in almost three years....... I may have to rethink my position if I do in the end loose my job, but for now I am holding fast......

I hope that we are ALL able to hang in there until this is over

Mark
Last edited by maginter on Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine."
Nikola Tesla

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

I really can't say the recession has affected yet. I have noticed fewer items on ebay that catches my fancy, so I have been purchasing much less. I haven't been able to go to any shows since I work full time and go to school at night, and study all weekend, so my ability to take time off to trave to a show is greatly limited.

Oh that, and we're expecting a new addition to the family in a month, so a lot more effort and money has gone to preparing a nursery rather than playing with phonographs....that might have had some impact too.

;)

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

And not to sound like a vulture, I have to say I've been really disappointed witht the quality of items that have been showing up on 'da 'bay. Here I thought with an economic slow down bargains would be popping up everywhere...but there seems to be much less available, and the prices, while cheapper in some degree on (Credenzas seem to pop up cheap, and Vic 1s have appeared once in a while for around $750), I was expecting a bit more of a steady supply of "need to pay the bills, so we're selling granddad's phonography thingy" ebay auctions.

Tampa Don
Victor Jr

Post by Tampa Don »

Marcel,
I don't know of any shipping companies in Orlando - esp. in close proximity to the show site - but I would guess that the organizers of the show would know of some reputable ones.

Fredrik
Victor O

Post by Fredrik »

Like Saxymojo I'm mostly affected by the exchange rates. The value of the US dollar as compared to the Swedish krona is much higher now than a couple of months ago. At its lowest I think one dollar cost about six kronor, now it costs about eight.

On the other hand: my main reason for holding back on new records should be lack of space, not of money. :cry:

Fredrik
Desperately seeking more storage space!