Weathered Oak VV-XI?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Tinkerbell
Victor III

Re: Weathered Oak VV-XI?

Post by Tinkerbell »

FloridaClay wrote:According to LFTD, the XI came in a choice of 10, count um, 10 different finishes including in oak Antique, Driftwood, Early English, Flemish, Fumed, Golden, Gunmetal, and Weathered. Maybe not too surprising as the XI was Victor's big volume bread and butter machine for years, with north of 850,000 sold.

Clay
Clay ~

Can you tell me the edition or copyright date on your LFTD? Mine has a copyright date of 1996, fifth printing, but the description of the XI on page 77 (of my copy) does not mention the variety of finishes you mention.

It would certainly make sense, as you say, as the XI was such a staple in terms of volume sales.

I am wondering if different printings of LFTD provide different information?

I would appreciate it if you could look up your book edition and/or copyright date when you have a free moment. I may need to update my library! :shock:

Thank you, Clay. :rose:

m0xiemama
Victor II

Post by m0xiemama »

While I an no expert and am new at this, I have seen a fumed.oak in person and this one is way too light to be fumed. Even on the inside. Even V-V .com says that the special finishes are quite rare but some are known to exist.

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Tinkerbell wrote:Can you tell me the edition or copyright date on your LFTD?
It is the "New Revised Edition 2005." As far as I know that is the latest version. You can get it straight from http://www.mulhollandpress.com. Strangly when I checked Amazon they seem to only have the old original edition from 1982.

Clay

P.S. There are color shots of all the finishes on pages 14 & 15 and the material on the VV-XI is on pages 91 & 92.
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

That finish should be a dull waxed finish, in the manner of Gustav Stickley Arts and Crafts furniture.

It is your machine, of course, and you are eminently entitled to do with it as you wish, but making the machine shiny so that the gold tones "pop" would be a desecration akin to stripping it and finishing it in "Formsby"s Golden Oak". :o

The finish that is on your machine would look well in many different room settings, though it would, of course, be at it's best in a "Mission":

or "Modern English" space.

although it would also work in many less formal "colonial" rooms:

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Post by Tinkerbell »

FloridaClay wrote:
Tinkerbell wrote:Can you tell me the edition or copyright date on your LFTD?
It is the "New Revised Edition 2005." As far as I know that is the latest version. You can get it straight from http://www.mulhollandpress.com. Strangly when I checked Amazon they seem to only have the old original edition from 1982.

Clay

P.S. There are color shots of all the finishes on pages 14 & 15 and the material on the VV-XI is on pages 91 & 92.
Thank you, Clay. My edition only has black and white pics... I think it's time for me to buy an updated edition! :lol:

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

The new one has lots of color plates. I think you will be happy with the update and not too bad, as collector books go. $29.95 if I remember.

Clay
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

m0xiemama
Victor II

Post by m0xiemama »

Uncle Vanya wrote:That finish should be a dull waxed finish, in the manner of Gustav Stickley Arts and Crafts furniture.

It is your machine, of course, and you are eminently entitled to do with it as you wish, but making the machine shiny so that the gold tones "pop" would be a desecration akin to stripping it and finishing it in "Formsby"s Golden Oak".

I did not mean I was planning on making it shiny. I was speaking only of the results of cleaning it.

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Post by Tinkerbell »

FloridaClay wrote:The new one has lots of color plates. I think you will be happy with the update and not too bad, as collector books go. $29.95 if I remember.

Clay
Do you also have the companion book "Victor Data Book?" (Or, does anyone else?)

I am going to order the latest LFTD to replace my older version, and am considering purchasing the companion book if somebody else owns it, finds it to be a worthwhile addition, and recommends it. :rose:

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Yes, I have the Victor Data Book also and it is useful. Has models broken down into all the sub-editions (e.g., VV-IX type A through type M), lowest and highest serial numbers of each, what got changed with each iteration, when first and last shipped, total production by quarter for each year made, total shipments for all years of each model, details about features, what extras came with models, dimensions and even in some cases weights.

Clay

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Post by Tinkerbell »

FloridaClay wrote:Yes, I have the Victor Data Book also and it is useful. Has models broken down into all the sub-editions (e.g., VV-IX type A through type M), lowest and highest serial numbers of each, what got changed with each iteration, when first and last shipped, total production by quarter for each year made, total shipments for all years of each model, details about features, what extras came with models, dimensions and even in some cases weights.

Clay
Thank you, Clay.

My apologies, Moxie, for temporarily hijacking your thread. :oops:

We now return you to our regular programming... :rose: