Thomas Edison Electric Iron

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MikeB
Victor II

Thomas Edison Electric Iron

Post by MikeB »

This probably isn't the right topic for this, but I thought I'd share the following.

I bought a collection of items which included a couple of vintage electric irons. When I got home, I discovered that one of them was an Edison! I know absolutely nothing about these, but here it is...
Attachments
Edison Iron 1.jpg
EDison Iron 2.jpg

gsphonos
Victor II

Re: Thomas Edison Electric Iron

Post by gsphonos »

I like it! Nice find to add to the "miscellaneous" area of your collection!

Mike Sorter
Riverside, CA

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Edison sold the rights to his name to several companies. This was made by a division of General Electric in the early 1930's , which soon after changed the name to Hotpoint.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Also from about 1924 on they made these things.

I have one as well but am trying to restore it. Why did I buy an Edison clothing iron? Well--I have a lot of button-down shirts!

They get super hot but it takes a while to warm them up. Basically it's a sadiron with a heater coil inside. Cool stuff!

estott
Victor Monarch

Post by estott »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Also from about 1924 on they made these things.

I have one as well but am trying to restore it. Why did I buy an Edison clothing iron? Well--I have a lot of button-down shirts!

They get super hot but it takes a while to warm them up. Basically it's a sadiron with a heater coil inside. Cool stuff!
They also have no safety fuse- if left plugged in they just continue to heat until something burns out.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Also from about 1924 on they made these things.

To use an electric iron of the his type, one plugs it in to heat it to the correct temperature for the fabric, and then unplugs it for use, using the exact technique as was used for a stove-heated sad iron. By 1915 manufacturers were offerring switched cords to make the management of electric it's easier, though many women continued using their irons in the old way.
Attachments
il_570xN.1748164078_aabx.jpg
il_570xN.1748164078_aabx.jpg (17.74 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
vtg-hold-heet-cloth-appliance-cord-w-arrow-switch-waffle-iron-toaster-coffee-pot.jpeg
vtg-hold-heet-cloth-appliance-cord-w-arrow-switch-waffle-iron-toaster-coffee-pot.jpeg (19.59 KiB) Viewed 1144 times

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

estott wrote:Edison sold the rights to his name to several companies. This was made by a division of General Electric in the early 1930's , which soon after changed the name to Hotpoint.
Sorry, but this is an early Edicraft speed iron, not a Hotpoint product.

Search Edicraft on the forum and you’ll find a bunch of info and photos of the other appliances in the Edicraft line (mostly mine :lol:)

estott
Victor Monarch

Post by estott »

HisMastersVoice wrote:
estott wrote:Edison sold the rights to his name to several companies. This was made by a division of General Electric in the early 1930's , which soon after changed the name to Hotpoint.
Sorry, but this is an early Edicraft speed iron, not a Hotpoint product.

Search Edicraft on the forum and you’ll find a bunch of info and photos of the other appliances in the Edicraft line (mostly mine :lol:)
Ah- sorry- the maze of smaller products Edison made (like the children's furniture) and the companies he sold name rights to can get tangled. I find it amusing that he supplied Battery Oil to be used with batteries which competed with his own. A market was a market.