<--- Losing faith in phonographs, Mr. Cantankerous speaks

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
richardh

Re: <--- Losing faith in phonographs, Mr. Cantankerous speaks

Post by richardh »

Yep, been there a few times. But even though I have lost interest several times the interest always remains in the backgound and comes back. I usually swing between a few hobbies and when i get bored of one I move to another. I agree with John that the friendships made, even in cyberspace, do make the hobby more enjoyable. To be able to share my phono thoughts as well as things in my collection is great and seeing what others have in their collections gives me a real buzz to.

Even when the phono craze leaves me, I've never been able to get rid of any machines or disks....I can never bring myself to do that. I just pack them away for a bit!

RJ 8-)

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Wyatt,

A very successful "Pay attention to me!" post :D

I too have been through many hobbies (coins, Lanterns, rairroadiana, Woodworking, Cycling, Kite building a flying, Shortwave listening, amateur radio, computers, home improvement to name a few). Some come and go, others linger on.

What I find the most enjoyable is the journey. Once the journey is done, it's done. I have learned over the years that when I reach the end of the journey I usually know by the way I feel if I will continue, or if I should liquidate.

This is something you will have to answer on your own. Take a break. You will soon know where you will land.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Post by MicaMonster »

Dear Everyone,

Thank You for all of your replies. Each one has its own special place with me, and the experience has been very healing. Burn-out alone can be disastrous, but with good friends to lean on I am starting to see a glint of sunshine from the phono-doldrums. I am truly honored to be recognized amongst such a fine group of folks such as yourselves. I will re-read all of your thoughtful replies and meditate on my place in the community.

My Greatest Thanks,

Wyatt
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!

Kevan
Victor I
Personal Text: Over Hill And Dale.....and back again.

Post by Kevan »

Hi Wyatt

The work you did on my Diamond Disc reproducer and the work on my friend's Columbia in Union last year tells me you'll be back some day, I hope. But then again maybe your just a collector of challenges?

kevan

Schmaltz
Victor I
Personal Text: "Shut Your Eyes and See" (J. Joyce)

Post by Schmaltz »

"Having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical. But it is often true."

Science Officer Spock, from episode "Amok Time."
Visit the virtual jukebox at The Old Schmaltz Archives.