Lateral/Vertical Tone-Arms

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Neophone
Victor III

Lateral/Vertical Tone-Arms

Post by Neophone »

Folks,

Since the subject came up in the Kimball thread I thought it might be useful for some folks to have a better view of the convertible type tone-arms.

This example is from a junker Rich-Tone I have awaiting a complete re-build. I believe most of these tone-arms were very similar to this. Anyone have some other examples to share?

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

richardh

Re: Lateral/Vertical Tone-Arms

Post by richardh »

I'm just catching up with old threads and noticed this one initiated by Neophone about tone arms capable of playing both lateral and vertical cut records. This is facinating. Were these common? and what kind of period would it date from. Also even if the soundbox could be swivelled wouldn't you need a special needle to play vertical cut disks raher than a steel one.

I thought Pathés used something like a ball saphire? or something similar. Is anyone able to comment?

RJ 8-)

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Lateral/Vertical Tone-Arms

Post by estott »

Combination arms were quite common. Some makes used adaptors to reposition the soundbox (Pathé, Silvertone) and some used seperate lateral and vertical soundboxes (Cheney, some Sonoras) I'm not sure that all makers intended that the arms be used in both positions, they probably bought arms "as is" from outside suppliers: I have an Outing portable (2nd style) and if you turn the arm to the vertical cut position part of the arm hits the record.