An oil filled sound-box ?

Discussion of patents relevant to the music and machines addressed by this forum.
poodling around
Victor V

An oil filled sound-box ?

Post by poodling around »

I thought that this was intriguing.

Unfortunately, as some-one I once knew quite accurately described me, I have "the attention span of a Gnat" - so I may mis-understand a little.

How-ever, this seems to be a patent for two things revolving around a sound-box diaphragm being 'cushioned' at the tone-arm end with something like a gasket filled with oil.

Apparently such a thing can improve sound and lubricate the gramophone needle.

Very interesting stuff indeed.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... b215c5b30a
Attachments
inv.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: An oil filled sound-box ?

Post by Inigo »

Beefy intriguing... I wanted to write VERY but we'll stay with beefy, much more graphic.
I wonder how the sound can pass to the tonearm, if there's a second mics disk closing the neck. Oil replaces air inside the soundbox, and takes the needle vibrations. But how these are then transmitted back to the air inside the tonearm?
In the other hand, I read somewhere, many moons ago, that Edison engineers used oil dampened recorders, and that was part of the secret of the good sound they achieved in acoustic recordings... Maybe those were similar to what seems to be in this patent.
Inigo

poodling around
Victor V

Re: An oil filled sound-box ?

Post by poodling around »

Inigo wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:00 pm Beefy intriguing... I wanted to write VERY but we'll stay with beefy, much more graphic.
I wonder how the sound can pass to the tonearm, if there's a second mics disk closing the neck. Oil replaces air inside the soundbox, and takes the needle vibrations. But how these are then transmitted back to the air inside the tonearm?
In the other hand, I read somewhere, many moons ago, that Edison engineers used oil dampened recorders, and that was part of the secret of the good sound they achieved in acoustic recordings... Maybe those were similar to what seems to be in this patent.
Ha ha ! I agree with you - totally beefy !

Anyway, I found the two patents but haven't yet had the chance to see / read in detail.

Here they are: (both the second ones down):

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/patent/ ... A?q=340054