Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
tinovanderzwan
Victor II

Re: 2-minute vs 4-minute cylinders

Post by tinovanderzwan »

Lucius1958 wrote:
tinovanderzwan wrote:
the smell of mint wax 2m is kinda well almost sweet
It has been so many years since I could detect the smell of a Gold Moulded record: spicy, sweet, slightly like cinnamon... :)

Bill
now thats a better description than mine!!

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

Tino, I also asked the Vulcan company about making Salon cylinders. There may be more demand for the Salon records than for the Columbia 20th Century cylinder which they offer.

tinovanderzwan
Victor II

Post by tinovanderzwan »

VintageTechnologies wrote:Tino, I also asked the Vulcan company about making Salon cylinders. There may be more demand for the Salon records than for the Columbia 20th Century cylinder which they offer.
i would think so!
the 20th cent, cyl is a rare cyl for an even rarer machine yet Pathé salon phono's are more prevalent here in europe than most edison machine's

what did duncan say to you in responce to your request?
Attachments
columbia BC 81719 2.jpg
columbia BC 81719 2.jpg (61.78 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
pathe 1687  22.jpg

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

I would like to make all rare kinds of cylinders available, I would have to come up with funds to make a mold and It certainly can be done. I want to make Concert cylinders too, I will at least be able to record them when I get my AG finished. I can make the 20th century blanks, but I do not have anything to record them on, if someone knows of a BF topworks, then I certainly could make 20th century cylinders. Right now, I can only make metallic soap records, but I have developed a harder black compound that is more durable than regular brown wax.

tinovanderzwan
Victor II

Post by tinovanderzwan »

edisonphonoworks wrote:I would like to make all rare kinds of cylinders available, I would have to come up with funds to make a mold and It certainly can be done. I want to make Concert cylinders too, I will at least be able to record them when I get my AG finished. I can make the 20th century blanks, but I do not have anything to record them on, if someone knows of a BF topworks, then I certainly could make 20th century cylinders. Right now, I can only make metallic soap records, but I have developed a harder black compound that is more durable than regular brown wax.
why not use the the acetate compount used for recordable discs

other oddball cylinders are
1 arnoldia (basically same as standard but shorter used with the arnoldia doll)made by excelsior werks in germany
2 phenix a cylinder inbetween the standard and salon
3 graphophone multiplex grand/Pathé celleste a cylinder of concert diameter but longer
4 edison doll a napkinring cylinder bigger in diameter than a standard but smaler than salon
5 graphophone blank cylinders for the columbia graphophone type C same size as the 20th century only brown wax and thiker (think light brown dictaphone cylinder)
6 bell & tanter cardbord core very thin small diameter cyl in both brown and black wax core non conical
7 lioret wax same on aperance as standard but non conical core (later ones where normal standards)
8 Pathé master blank bigger in diameter as concert and long as graphophone multiplex

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV

I can make type C graphophone cylinders with my present molds, and early dictation machine cylinders for wood cased Edison business machine records. I can also make Busy Bee cylinders as well. I can supply 20th century blanks to those who have a recorder for there cylinders.

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV

Apollo Masters had made a lacquer cylinder record for some project the drawback is you could not make molds from a aluminum/lacquer cylinder as it does not have the shrinkage to extract from the plating process, and it seems lacquer might have less playback life than wax, however I have never tried it on a cylinder phonograph.
Attachments
Apollo Lacquer cylinder record.
Apollo Lacquer cylinder record.
edisoncylinder.jpg (15.29 KiB) Viewed 1111 times

tinovanderzwan
Victor II

Post by tinovanderzwan »

edisonphonoworks wrote:Apollo Masters had made a lacquer cylinder record for some project the drawback is you could not make molds from a aluminum/lacquer cylinder as it does not have the shrinkage to extract from the plating process, and it seems lacquer might have less playback life than wax, however I have never tried it on a cylinder phonograph.
this would bewc a perfect wat to reproduce the bell &
tainter graphophone cardboard cyl!!
queen victoria graphophone cyl.jpg
queen victoria graphophone cyl.jpg (3.63 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
quite a likeness!