Reinald Werrenrath having fun

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Reinald Werrenrath having fun

Post by estott »

Metropolitan baritone Reinald Werrenrath had a reputation as a prankster, which seems borne out by these post photos for the 1929 parody novel SALT WATER TAFFY. (Clicking on the pictures will display them vertically)
Attachments
DSCN0310_069.JPG
DSCN0311_070.JPG
DSCN0312_071.JPG
DSCN0313_072.JPG

peterwerren
Victor Jr

Re: Reinald Werrenrath having fun

Post by peterwerren »

Hello:

I am the grandson of Reinald Werrenrath, baritone. Thanks so much for posting those fun pix of my grandfather. He was a great talent and a great man.

I was wondering what book those pictures were in. My father, Reinald Werrenrath, Jr. (99 and still going strong!) recently mentioned to me that his father had written an autobiography, with another author.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Peter Werrenrath

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Reinald Werrenrath having fun

Post by estott »

peterwerren wrote:Hello:

I am the grandson of Reinald Werrenrath, baritone. Thanks so much for posting those fun pix of my grandfather. He was a great talent and a great man.

I was wondering what book those pictures were in. My father, Reinald Werrenrath, Jr. (99 and still going strong!) recently mentioned to me that his father had written an autobiography, with another author.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Peter Werrenrath
Those are from the book "Salt Water Taffy" by Corey Ford. It is a parody adventure novel- and most specifically a parody of Joan Lowell's book "The Cradle of the Deep" an autobiography which later turned out to be a fake. It is all detailed in Ford's autobiography "the time of laughter" It also draws characters from the parody adventure books authored by "Walter E. Traprock" such as "Sara of the Sahara" and "My Northern Exposure". Many of Ford's friends posed for the faked photos- Amelia Earhart turns up in one of the books.

Ford's sequel was "Coconut Oil"