Just played what has to be the hottest record ever!!!

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Just played what has to be the hottest record ever!!!

Post by marcapra »

I just played a reissue record from the 40's on the Creole Records label which says "Special Edition for collectors on vinyl". The band is Joe Turner and his Memphis Men playing Freeze and Melt, recorded April 4th, 1929. The record was originally issued on Columbia 1813. Could this be the famous Big Joe Turner of 50s rock and roll fame whom I saw with Count Basie in 1976? He would have only been 18 years old in 1929, so probably not, and there is no singing on this record. Could it be a Joe Turner who was a jazz pianist born in 1907 and died in 1990? But there is no piano audible on this record. What is audible is one of the hottest clarinets I've ever heard and a very hot string bass, and loud and very clearly recorded! Any ideas?

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Re: Just played what has to be the hottest record ever!!!

Post by Orchorsol »

According to Brian Rust's book - Pseudonym on Columbia 1813-D, 5486 and 36157 for Duke Ellington and his Orchestra.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I have just listened to it on YouTube, where there are two posts, and both posters credit the recording to Ellington. The fine clarinettist gets no credit! Does Brian Rust's book tell us who he was?

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Rust confirms Col. 1813-D (New York, April 4. 1929) and quotes "As for February 18, 1929 above".

The entry "above" is as follows:

"DUKE ELLINGTON'S ORCHESTRA : Duke Ellington-p-a dir. Arthur Whetsel-Freddy Jenkins-t/Cootie Williams-t-v/Joe Nanton-tb/Johnny Hodges-cl-ss-as/Harry Carney-cl-as-bar/Barney Bigard-cl-ts/Fred Guy-bj/Wellman Braud-sb/Sonny Greer-d-v".

Torjazzer
Victor II

Post by Torjazzer »

"Freeze and Melt" really is one hot number. Ellington also recorded as "Sonny Greer and his Memphis Men"; "Saturday Night Function" and "Beggar's Blues" are both excellent blues sides also on Columbia. This and the aforementioned are great examples of the superiority of Columbia's recording techniques over Victor's. That bass alone is a killer!