Listening to music on 78's

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
phonojim
Victor IV

Re: Listening to music on 78's

Post by phonojim »

I was going to mention Radio Dismuke but you beat me to it. He even uses vintage commercials and station breaks to make things even more interesting. If he has a rotation, it is done over a long period of time. You'll hear a lot of music that you can't get anywhere else.

Jim

2Bdecided
Victor I

Post by 2Bdecided »

I love the music, and I love the experience of listening too.

Listening to a full concerto from 78s, especially without an auto-changer, is quite a trial compared with clicking play on a digital recording. You feel like a real pioneer, going to all that effort to get to hear a full classical performance in your own home ;) It's almost an event in itself, what with winding and needle changing/sharpening every side.

I hate to admit it, but for just listening to the music, rather than getting the full 1920s experience, I'm glad we have digital. But I'm glad we have the 1920s technology to bring us so much wonderful music from back then. Makes you wonder what sounds we missed from before recording was invented. There must have been so many wonderful performers and performances that we will never get to hear. I'm so glad electrical recording was there to capture most of the Jazz and Dance band era.

Cheers,
David.

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

I guess I got the ball rolling with this topic!

Paul

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

I missed the Radio Dismuke new year's show, but I think he was playing live cylinders and 78s on period machines. My ONLY personal grievance with Radio Dismuke is, if I hear something I really dig, which of course is all the time, I know there's NO way I'll ever be able to afford it, if I can even find it. The 1920's Radio Network plays some rarities, and some interesting yet more common records that a shmoe like me can maybe find and afford.
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

SteveM wrote:I missed the Radio Dismuke new year's show, but I think he was playing live cylinders and 78s on period machines. My ONLY personal grievance with Radio Dismuke is, if I hear something I really dig, which of course is all the time, I know there's NO way I'll ever be able to afford it, if I can even find it. The 1920's Radio Network plays some rarities, and some interesting yet more common records that a shmoe like me can maybe find and afford.
I missed it too. I was visiting relatives, and unfortunately they have no download option. Radio Dismuke has a playlist, so if you listen long enough that particular song will come around again. And it's not all that rare, the music they play. A big part is just ripped from reissue cd's and lp's, and only part of it are actual 78's from mr. Dismuke's personal collection. Usually if you Google the title and the artist a cd or lp will show up. That's how I found out the stuff from the Sunny Meadows Radio show came from a Sunbeam Records lp issued in 1975. I bought it on Ebay a couple of months ago.

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

bart1927 wrote: I missed it too. I was visiting relatives, and unfortunately they have no download option.
Quite often I hear something on the Internet that I would like to download and play on other devices such as an MP3 player or car stereo, but there is no option. That can be inconvenient, but it is not a show stopper. It is possible to capture anything you hear live through the sound card on your computer and save it to a sound file. Since there many versions of Microsoft Windows, I will not attempt to offer a technical computer tutorial on a phonograph website. Altering the "Properties" of your sound card may allow this option, or you may have to download a utility program to capture streaming sound. Since I rarely use Windows at all, I do my captures on a Ubuntu Linux computer using a free program called "Audio Recorder". I would be astonished if the Apple Mac didn't offer similar abilities.