The Thunderer March ( Sousa), True Tone

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
larryh
Victor IV

The Thunderer March ( Sousa), True Tone

Post by larryh »

A nice peppy march on a black label Edison. These black labels are a surprise at times. This one had a bit of louder surface noise but settles into a very mild sound which frankly is better than many white labels that followed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV5PUOC6p4U The Thunderer March, New York Military Band.

Larry

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: The Thunderer March ( Sousa), True Tone

Post by marcapra »

Excellent sound on that! Congratulations!!! Here's another march that's not by Sousa, but is also associated with the circus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0CyOAO8y0

Marc

Henry
Victor V

Re: The Thunderer March ( Sousa), True Tone

Post by Henry »

Fucik "Entry" in this performance sounds ponderous; it's usually played somewhat faster, but this rendition doesn't even get to MM = 120, which is kind of a "standard" march tempo. Here it's more like maybe 108. Nevertheless, the Philip Jones ensemble is tops! And the slow tempo does make it easier for the trombones to play the second strain and the "dogfight" in the trio!

I played the Ringling Circus (RBB&B, the "Big One") for three years when it came to Raleigh to perform on tour. There was a "Red" show and a "Blue" show (no political leanings associated with that!), and I don't know which one came to Raleigh. They played in the large indoor arena at the State Fair Grounds, having long since abandoned the "Big Top." In the glory years, the show toured with its own band, but when I played (in the mid-'60s) they brought leader, drummer, and keyboard (Hammond organ) and hired the rest of us locals from the musicians' union. The leader was the renowned Merle Evans, who had directed the Ringling band since 1919, which was incidentally the year of the disastrous Hartford fire. If you're familiar with the MGM movie "The Greatest Show on Earth," you'll get a very brief glimpse of Merle. The circus job was a killer; the first day we had a three-hour rehearsal and two three-hour shows, with one break during each show. Our chops were busted by the middle of the first show, because it was constant playing, and humans are not built to hold a mouthpiece to their lips for that long. The funny thing is, my wife came to one show, and told me afterward that she couldn't even hear the band because the organ was amped up so loud it drowned us out! So we were blowing our brains out for nothing (except the money, which was pretty good for those days). Must have been the Leslie rotating speakers that did it.