Where My Money Went This Week

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
rgordon939
Victor V

Re: Where My Money Went This Week

Post by rgordon939 »

I totally understand the two sides to this discussion. I relate this to buying a rare exotic collector car that has zero miles on it and paying the premium price for that, then taking it and driving it all over town. I personally would want to keep these cylinders in unplayed condition as I have many other cylinders that I do play. If someone buys these it will be their choice to do whatever they wish with them, save them or play them.

Rich Gordon

wtt11
Victor I

Post by wtt11 »

USCB cylinder preservation team has optical player. If any title hasn't been recorded down yet. you could use this tech to 'virtually' play them back for the good of history. :)

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

wtt11 wrote:USCB cylinder preservation team has optical player.
Where ?

A machine like the Archeophone or something of similar construct isn't an optical player. Optical playback is still slow and expensive and (I believe) only utilized in extreme cases, like playback of tinfoil recordings.

wtt11
Victor I

Post by wtt11 »

That's plausible. But yes, not worthy. I'll take my words back.

victorIIvictor
Victor II

Post by victorIIvictor »

"USCB cylinder preservation team has optical player."

"Where?"

I'm not sure what U.S.C.B. is, but UC Berkeley's Lawrence Berkeley Laboratories developed a device to optically play cylinders and discs.

One of many links…

http://irene.lbl.gov/pahma.html

Best wishes, Mark

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

Werent these made in Chicago?

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Having digitized many brown wax cylinders as early as from 1889, I am not concerned at all to use a light-weight modern pickup. While optical solutions may be available to the average collector in the distant future, it has also several drawbacks. A stylus in the groove will also keep it clean. That is also why the laser turntable for vinyl (and 78s) has not been widely in use, even at archives - aside from its lofty price.

I have reproductions of some of my most important cylinders, which I can now even enjoy on any vintage machine. Unless a record is not played on a daily routine, imho the real risk of damage is not electric playback but improper handling and storage, which does not require any playback at all.

The optical solution is called confocal microscopy and maintained by Carl Haber at Berkeley National Laboratory. Be prepared to pay a four-digit number to get a cylinder digitized.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

WDC wrote: Be prepared to pay a four-digit number to get a cylinder digitized.
Hence my doubt that the USBC is utilizing optical retrieval/playback. I'm sure they are scratching for funds as it is.

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

Wow, this Yankee Trader posting listing cylinders for trade sure got off on a tangent.

Rich Gordon

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

rgordon939 wrote:Wow, this Yankee Trader posting listing cylinders for trade sure got off on a tangent.

Rich Gordon
Isn't this the "Music" section? It seems an appropriate place to discuss modern sound retrieval methods for certain records.

George P.