What's my Kansas City Kitty Blue Amberol worth?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Joe Prindle
Victor Jr

What's my Kansas City Kitty Blue Amberol worth?

Post by Joe Prindle »

Hi,
I bought a machine at an auction a month ago and inside was a blue amberol 5716, Kansas City Kitty, by Billy Murray. It plays good, has no splits, cracks or plaster loss. It was in an amberol box, but no lid. I did have to lightly ream it to get it to go on the mandrel all of the way, but not much.
I'd like to sell it and put the money towards another machine. Naturally, the more I get out of it, the nicer the machine! So, can anyone tell me what a good price would be?
Thank you,
Joe Prindle
Baraboo, WI USA
Incurable collector of all sorts of weird, shiny objects.

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Re: What's my Kansas City Kitty Blue Amberol worth?

Post by phonogal »

I don't know what it is worth, but I know it's a very desirable cylinder. I would think that if you list it on Ebay and advertise the auction in the Ebay section on this forum, you will find out what it's worth.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

As I recall, In the height of eBay bids, some years ago, one sold for $2000, while some years later at a phonograph show, it changed ownership for $900.

There is a great demand for this title but only small number of collectors is actually prepared for such a price range. I would also agree, that an auction would be the best price determination.

Like many BA's, this one was also dubbed at a wrong speed and needs to be played back faster, otherwise Billy Murray will sound somewhat tired.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

The electric DD sold for $ 565.00 on the 'bay a few months ago. Interesting that someone would pay 2,000 for the dubbed cylinder. :shock:

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

My advise: Sell yours and buy a new one from Norman.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

billybob62 wrote:My advise: Sell yours and buy a new one from Norman.
Yup that's some good advice. I have the copy from Norman, and it plays great.

If you want to sell it get it up on ebay, and start it out at a price that you think it should be. Watch the bids roll in and the money flow into your pockets. (I am thinking 1500-2000 on this cylinder, that's just a guesstimate).

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Victrolacollector wrote:Yup that's some good advice. I have the copy from Norman, and it plays great.

If you want to sell it get it up on ebay, and start it out at a price that you think it should be. Watch the bids roll in and the money flow into your pockets. (I am thinking 1500-2000 on this cylinder, that's just a guesstimate).
A forum member recently bought a mint copy in the 500 range. 1500-2000 may have been realistic several years ago, but I highly doubt that now, more and more copies seem to be surfacing. I have the DD and cylinder and I never play the cylinder.

Sean

Victrolacollector
Victor V

A Diamond Disc copy just sold today on eBay for $655.00.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

I'm not surprised by that, I gladly paid $600 for my DD that was new old unplayed stock. With far superior sound to the cylinder, it was a no-brainer for me.

Sean

Victrolacollector
Victor V

OrthoSean wrote:I'm not surprised by that, I gladly paid $600 for my DD that was new old unplayed stock. With far superior sound to the cylinder, it was a no-brainer for me.

Sean
I agree with your earlier post, several years ago there would be a bidding war over this title on DD or cylinder. I remember the bidding wars back in 2004-2009, I think that it would easily have fetched a higher price back then. Today, we are several years later and there are fewer young people interested in these recordings. The Apple Generation does not seem as interested in these records, and I anticipate they will level off or continue to decrease in price. (There have been many threads on the topic of younger generations interest in the hobby).

Sounds like you have a nice copy. Personally, I have a copy of Norman's release on cylinder record, and it sounds good to me, it was only $80.00