Diamond Disc Reproduction

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
donniej
Victor III

Diamond Disc Reproduction

Post by donniej »

This was no small accomplishment, and I'm too pleased not too brag a little.
This video is of my first successful copy of both sides of a diamond disc. To show the quality, and to make clear (no pun intended) that the copy is mine, I used a clear resin. There are still a few kinks to work out but I soon hope to have this and a few other titles available. Many thanks to those who have loaned me discs and to those who have supported me with words of encouragement and those who have helped me recoup a small percentage of my costs by buying some of the early 7" discs and Charleston copies I currently have available.
Thank you!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4onmrNqPsOI

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: Diamond Disc Reproduction

Post by alang »

Wow, Donnie, that's nothing short of amazing! Great job! I was already very impressed by the slightly out of round DD you made, but this is great. Congratulations!

Andreas

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

That is very impressive!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Donnie,

I love that clear disc... maybe you could make transparent colored discs or even splattered color discs, like the Aeolian below.

I have a friend who is not on the forum who would like a copy of the Charleston, so if you could PM me your email, I'll forward it to him...
Attachments
Aeolian Record.jpg
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

alang wrote:Wow, Donnie, that's nothing short of amazing! Great job! I was already very impressed by the slightly out of round DD you made, but this is great. Congratulations!

Andreas
Thank you. Getting the spindle hole centered was definitely a challenge.

Ps. It turns out the spindle hole on the Edison's isn't dead-center to begin with!

RolandVV-360
Victor II
Personal Text: The Finest Gift of All!

Post by RolandVV-360 »

You should get the London Phonograph Society to lend you their Diamond Disc copy of "Sunny Skies", by the Piccadilly Players. I think plenty of people could go for a copy of that...

Nonetheless, I am interested to see what'll be copied in the future!
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

Steve Levi
Victor II

Post by Steve Levi »

Brag away!! The sound and clarity is FANTASTIC!!! Good on you to make a clear disc, there is no question to its authenticity. The only thing that comes to my mind is revolutionary! Please keep us updated and good luck on your refinements, whatever they could be. This copy of an Edison Diamond Disc is phenomenal. ! Steve

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

You really accomplished something that I thought would never happen. There are so many Edison records I have tried to buy on Ebay, but I was always out bid. If copies of great records could be had at a reasonable price, I'm sure there would be a lot of people buying them. I suppose your copies are difficult to make and very expensive. I would love to see a video showing the production process you came up with. The sound quality was amazing!
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

audiophile102 wrote:You really accomplished something that I thought would never happen. There are so many Edison records I have tried to buy on Ebay, but I was always out bid.
Me too. I have a really hard time justifying paying hundreds of dollars for a record, if a copy can even be found! My hope is that people will continue to lend me rare records so that I can continue to offer copies of them at a reasonable price.

Many people also don't like playing records that are either very old or very rare, so it's nice to be able to enjoy playing a copy on a wind-up machine and not worry about wearing out a rare original disc...

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Have you done any experimentation with Edison LP discs? Or are the grooves too small for this process?