How's my setup?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Victor A
Victor I
Personal Text: "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?" - Graham Chapman

How's my setup?

Post by Victor A »

Recently assembled this bookshelf, and it houses my records quite nicely, with the machines going on top. What do you think?
Attachments
15056789712971018823891.jpg
SOUSA, The March King, says:

"Your 'VICTOR' and 'MONARCH' Records are all right."

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: How's my setup?

Post by gramophone-georg »

Not my style. I prefer chaos.

Just kidding. Looks great!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

RolandVV-360
Victor II
Personal Text: The Finest Gift of All!

Post by RolandVV-360 »

Step 1: Return that Crosley "Record Ruiner" to the store, it'll do you no good anyway. You're better of with a nice modern turntable, or if you aren't into spending much, you should get an old 3 speed turntable.

Step 2: make sure there are no ways that those loose 78s in the top right of the shelf couldn't possibly fall out and hurt themselves (maybe a stopper block nailed/screwed in).

Otherwise, it's a great setup. VV-35s are decent sounding machines, and are convenient when you only have acoustically recorded records in mind. Good luck on your collection!
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

A 3 speed "schoolhouse" type player by the likes of Audiotronics is a better alternative to portable Crosley. Provided you get one that is more recent and in good working order. The machines are built better and they have real amplifiers that can deliver clean room filling power.

Victor A
Victor I

Post by Victor A »

Thanks guys. I was just given that Crosley by a relative, and as much as I love them (the relative, that is) I do intend to return it. I use it as a portable desk currently (a job which it is surprisingly good at.) Just thought it looked aesthetically pleasing in the photo.

And I will look into doing something to secure those records. Thanks!

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

That is a nice set up you can play almost any thing. If you put a 2/4 conversion on the Edison you could play everything. Tom B

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

I hope you know the recommended weight by IKEA is 13 kg's maximum per cubicle. And that is when you use this bookcase in an upright position. Positioned horizontally, the shelves are just supported by 4 wooden pegs, so I doubt they will hold all that weight over time.

Victor A
Victor I

Post by Victor A »

bart1927 wrote:I hope you know the recommended weight by IKEA is 13 kg's maximum per cubicle. And that is when you use this bookcase in an upright position. Positioned horizontally, the shelves are just supported by 4 wooden pegs, so I doubt they will hold all that weight over time.

This is from better homes and gardens and I made sure it would support this weight for at least a while. I also intend to expand the amount of shelving and thin out my collection a bit.

Thanks for your concern!

oldphonographsteve
Victor II
Personal Text: I'm the guy that found the fault in asphalt

Post by oldphonographsteve »

Nice! That setup is compact, easy to access, and visually appealing. That's more than I can say for my own collection's organization... :?

-Stephen