Two Tunes That Need To Be Copied To Play On Our Old Machines

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Two Tunes That Need To Be Copied To Play On Our Old Mach

Post by gramophone-georg »

billybob62 wrote:Maybe we could get a group buy to defray the costs. Are any others here interested?
And, as usual, when one finds a nice copy, one tends to enshrine it, rather than wear it out by playing it.That's why a good copy is hard to find.
Therein lies the rub. I like records that I can play and listen to.
Not me... I play my records. I maintain them as well, though.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

donniej wrote:So far I've molded close to 150 discs, many of which have sold no copies. Materials costs have been killing my bank account so this thread is timed perfectly. My taste in music doesn't always (usually?) reflect others so what does everyone think of this... If ten people agree to buy a 10" copy at $25 + shipping then I'll be happy to mold it. I can do $20 + shipping for 7".
Donnie, figure out what you have available to mold then make a list. Let people pre order on a sliding scale... if you only get 1 preorder for a particular record then it's more expensive than if you get 10 of them.

You needed to get your product out there in the public eye- you've done that, and what you do has been proven to be worth the cost, so run it like that now. That way you're not out of pocket on speculation going forward.

Make sense?

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

Donnie can't do this until probably after Christmas, so let us try to get 10 people or orders for 10 copies of "Shake It And Break it" in the meantime. Paying upfront is a good idea.
This thread is the place to announce your intention.
I'm in for 2 copies.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

billybob62 wrote:Donnie can't do this until probably after Christmas, so let us try to get 10 people or orders for 10 copies of "Shake It And Break it" in the meantime. Paying upfront is a good idea.
This thread is the place to announce your intention.
I'm in for 2 copies.
Does this mean now I have to make sure I have it/ can find it? *Groan*. Me and my big fat fingers. :roll:

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

Well, "Doctor Jazz" is a go but I can't find THAT Oliver. I have "Struggle Buggy" which is a nice one. I have Tiny Parham's "Lucky 3-6-9", a bunch of hot Fess Williams stuff like "I'm Feelin' Devilish", most of the Charlie Johnson sides- "You Ain't The One", "Walk That Thing", "The Boy In The Boat", and "Charleston Is The Best Dance After All" are nice hot sides from Charlie. Benny Carter is there.

Lots of Fess Williams, some more Jelly Roll Mortons, and all of the McKinney's Cotton Pickers stuff including the Chocolate Dandies/ Little Aces/ Big Aces McKinney pseudonym sides on OKeh.

Leo Reisman did some really different and cool stuff with Bubber Miley for a couple years there I can help with.

Paul Tremaine's "Four Four Rhythm" on Victor is a nice hot one, as is Blue Steele's "Shooin' Flies" with Kay Austin, an obscure but great girl scat singer.

Shake It will turn up eventually. I think the flip is Call of the Freaks. Come to think of it it might be an original stamper on 1930s Bluebird, which means I have to dig more.

I have a ton of stuff tucked away. It all depends on who is going to pony up the moolah for Donnie to copy it. :D

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I'd like a resin copy of Columbia 364-D,"If You Knew Susie" by Eddie Cantor.That'd be great!edisonplayer

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Like I said... 50 different opinions... :roll: We need to concentrate on one. If I had my first choice, it would be a George Gershwin tune - Nashville Nightingale on HMV by The Piccadilly Revels dance band under the direction of Ray Starita. It's a hot catchy tune by a famous composer and almost impossible to find, which meets the criteria of history, tune and band... I have been looking for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPnepKtBvCk
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

Curt, We are concentrating on one right now, the King Oliver "Shake It And Break It".

We have indications for 2 copies but Donnie needs an order for 10. Can we add you to the list? If we can get that one into motion then we can try some others.

Also, we need a donor who should get a free copy.

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

billybob62 wrote:
Also, we need a donor who should get a free copy.
The donor always gets a free copy!

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

Just to keep things straight, right now we are only discussing the King Oliver version of Shake It And Break It.
I have committed here to buy that from Donnie if we can get another 8 orders.
Last edited by billybob62 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.