Last Victor Orthophonic Batwing Label?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Last Victor Orthophonic Batwing Label?

Post by CDBPDX »

I had always thought that the last batwing orthophonic records were in the mid-late 19000 series but I just found 20045 on an orthophonic batwing label recorded in May, 1926. And it is in E or better condition. Cool!

Cliff
Attachments
Label_VICTOR-Batwing_20045-A_0001.JPG
Label_VICTOR-Batwing_20045-B_0001.JPG
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

Viva-voce
Victor III

Re: Last Victor Orthophonic Batwing Label?

Post by Viva-voce »

That is cool. I have a 10" electrical red seal batwing of Rosa Ponselle singing two songs by Tosti on Victor 1164, recorded May 18, 1926. What a charming and delightful record! I would imagine this one and yours would have been released sometime during the summer of that year, so it would have appeared on batwing for maybe only a couple of months before the Scroll label was first used. Interesting.

Steven

victor 15-1
Victor I
Personal Text: to own an electrola is a blessing

Post by victor 15-1 »

Viva-voce wrote:That is cool. I have a 10" electrical red seal batwing of Rosa Ponselle singing two songs by Tosti on Victor 1164, recorded May 18, 1926. What a charming and delightful record! I would imagine this one and yours would have been released sometime during the summer of that year, so it would have appeared on batwing for maybe only a couple of months before the Scroll label was first used. Interesting.

Steven
The highest one I have is 20099, an oakland pressing like your 20045

dennis
Victor I

Post by dennis »

I find it strange and interesting that it is a batwing but it says orthophonic on the label!

victor 15-1
Victor I

Post by victor 15-1 »

dennis wrote:I find it strange and interesting that it is a batwing but it says orthophonic on the label!
usually you will find that marking is particular to the Oakland pressings

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

According to the Sherman book (p85) 20101 is the highest 10 inch popular series Batwing reported so far. "orthophonic" on the label indicates Fall 1926.

msherman
Victor O

Post by msherman »

Highest regular issue on Wing Label to my knowledge. Recorded 28 and 30 Jun 1926. "B" side is "Black Bottom" by Johnny Hamp's Kentucky Serenaders.
Attachments
20101.jpg

victor 15-1
Victor I

Post by victor 15-1 »

msherman wrote:Highest regular issue on Wing Label to my knowledge. Recorded 28 and 30 Jun 1926. "B" side is "Black Bottom" by Johnny Hamp's Kentucky Serenaders.
Seeing this label confirms my suspicion that the Oakland pressings lagged behind the Camden pressings in switching over to the scroll label..Fa! !ntastic to see this! Similarly, the Oakland pressings of Jan to Mar 1930 pressings still are branded "Victor talking machine division,Radio victor corporation" well after the east coast pressings were branded RCA victor..do not know why the time lag in both cases.You learn something every day!