New Discs Update

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
donniej
Victor III

New Discs Update

Post by donniej »

Due to intermittent issues with wear on my shellac compatible discs, I've decided to reformulate using materials I hope will surpass the durability of original shellac discs. The base material is expensive, and with materials cost increases across the board, I'll also be raising prices next year.

However, I've been testing a new, soft resin which is cheap and easy to work with. If there's sufficient interest then I'll begin making all 78's optionally available in this resin, for electric playback only. They'll also be priced even lower than my current prices ($20 for 7" discs).

-As you may have seen, I now have one 5" Berliner, but am currently working on three more.
-Hot Diamond Discs keep coming in.
-Several Hot European market 11.5" Pathé verticals will soon be available.
-Several Seaman/Zonophone pirated Berliners are also now available. This puts the Berliner section of the mold library at close to 150 and overall discs at over 200!

This wouldn't be possible without the tremendous generosity of those willing to loan rare, early and fun discs. Thank you to everyone who has made this possible!!!

marco
Victor II

Re: New Discs Update

Post by marco »

donniej wrote:Due to intermittent issues with wear on my shellac compatible discs, I've decided to reformulate using materials I hope will surpass the durability of original shellac discs. The base material is expensive, and with materials cost increases across the board, I'll also be raising prices next year.

However, I've been testing a new, soft resin which is cheap and easy to work with. If there's sufficient interest then I'll begin making all 78's optionally available in this resin, for electric playback only. They'll also be priced even lower than my current prices ($20 for 7" discs).

-As you may have seen, I now have one 5" Berliner, but am currently working on three more.
-Hot Diamond Discs keep coming in.
-Several Hot European market 11.5" Pathé verticals will soon be available.
-Several Seaman/Zonophone pirated Berliners are also now available. This puts the Berliner section of the mold library at close to 150 and overall discs at over 200!

This wouldn't be possible without the tremendous generosity of those willing to loan rare, early and fun discs. Thank you to everyone who has made this possible!!!
Thanks for the update, Don! Just sent you a regular e-mail to you to see if your were ready for me to ship.

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

I am always searching for hot jazz records to play on my A250 and there is none hotter than Red & Miffs Stompers. The Edison record has two great numbers, Hurricane and Black Bottom Stomp. Ebay had a V condition of the record sell for $44 with shipping on August 19th. If I could buy a single sided reproduction, I would be very happy. I think I may have made a similar appeal to Don before, but I thought I would try again. I recognize that getting a clean copy to duplicate might be next to impossible. I'm a dreamer, aren't we all?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASeyDIm5e-4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk3pBOJnZks
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

John,

Thanks for posting links to Red & Miff's Edison DD No. 51878! Don't forget their other Edison DD, No. 51854 --- two other outstanding, jazz sides that somehow got released on DD!!! I have 51854, but I'm still looking for a copy of 51878.

Alabama Stomp https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmwqfvOeq08
Stampede https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUlYnFN5KdI

Recordially yours,
Bob