Vertical cut records

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Vertical cut records

Post by Wolfe »

Maybe the sleeves for the early vertical Okeh records said something about playing with a sapphire ball stylus.

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

I certainly agree with Wolfe saying:
the vertical Okeh's don't state anything about sapphire ball on the label, as far as I've seen. I'd be interested to see one if they exist.
However, as for the Okeh sleeves, I have three styles of early, and distinctly different ones --- each stating "Hill and dale cut. Play with either a sapphire or steel needle" . The first two sleeves pictured are similar, but slightly different --- note the differing font for the main OKEH name, the image of the native American, and the upper portions of the left and right decorative borders. The third and fourth sleeves shown are identical to each other, except for some of the information being obliterated on the later. I believe the first sleeve depicted predates the others.

When Okeh started to issue records with lateral-cut grooves, existing stocks of sleeves were overstamped and used. The sleeves on the right in both pictures are overstamped with "Lateral Cut" (x 2 and x 3, respectively), and with references to hill and dale cut as well as playing with either a sapphire or steel needle and the picture of the typical "vertical-cut" sound box position obliterated.

Bob
Attachments
DSCN2729.JPG
DSCN2730.JPG

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

^ Explains some things. Thanks.

toysbyroy
Victor I

Post by toysbyroy »

I have a number of one-sided Aeolian/Vocalion red records. Are they vertical or lateral? Thanks, Roy

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Aeolion Vocalion entered the record market in mid-1918 and wasn't producing vertical records after about 1920. So, they'd fall within that short window of time if they are.

Here's a vid (not mine) of an early vertical disc, as you can see, it's black.

https://youtu.be/iI7p4xxFfic

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Pathé Logical wrote:I certainly agree with Wolfe saying:
the vertical Okeh's don't state anything about sapphire ball on the label, as far as I've seen. I'd be interested to see one if they exist.
However, as for the Okeh sleeves, I have three styles of early, and distinctly different ones --- each stating "Hill and dale cut. Play with either a sapphire or steel needle" . The first two sleeves pictured are similar, but slightly different --- note the differing font for the main OKEH name, the image of the native American, and the upper portions of the left and right decorative borders. The third and fourth sleeves shown are identical to each other, except for some of the information being obliterated on the later. I believe the first sleeve depicted predates the others.

When Okeh started to issue records with lateral-cut grooves, existing stocks of sleeves were overstamped and used. The sleeves on the right in both pictures are overstamped with "Lateral Cut" (x 2 and x 3, respectively), and with references to hill and dale cut as well as playing with either a sapphire or steel needle and the picture of the typical "vertical-cut" sound box position obliterated.

Bob
May have to try a sapphire: when I tried to play the one Okeh vertical I have (with a Jewel adapter set to vertical on my C-250) with a steel needle, I immediately saw the grooves being damaged, and took the needle off.

Bill

howardpgh
Victor II

Post by howardpgh »

Here's a picture of the OKEH Lateral label.
Attachments
image.jpeg