Cracked: Hank Williams "Calling You" Sterling Records ‎– 201

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
ODIE3
Victor Jr
Personal Text: I Like Old Tech!

Cracked: Hank Williams "Calling You" Sterling Records ‎– 201

Post by ODIE3 »

Hank Williams And The Country Boys* ‎– Calling You / Never Again (Will I Knock On Your Door)

So apparently my beloved Hank Williams record is somewhat important, being his 1st record. I rarely play it because its cracked. It plays but with a thud, as you would expect it to.

Now that I know it's not just some Hank record that I like, I am now a bit more worried about the crack. All I have done is put some super-glue at/near the label in the hopes to keep it from tracking through the spindle hole. I have read that one can use epoxy to fill in the crack (and stops the thudding too). I am scared to death to do that, to get any kind of glue near the actual music treads.

I wished I could just send it to some professional... but shipping a record that is already broken that does not seem smart either.

Thoughts?
Attachments
IMG_1684.jpg
-----------
Richard
Columbia Type B 181874 - was my uncles, who found it in a ghost town (so he told me).
Victrola VV-IX 161087 G - was my great grandmothers, I remember dancing with her when I was 4 or so in her parlor.

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Cracked: Hank Williams "Calling You" Sterling Records ‎–

Post by Wolfe »

E- copy of that went for $425.00 on e-bay last month. 64 bids.

I dunno how to use epoxy to repair 78's, so I'd probably leave it alone.

ODIE3
Victor Jr

Post by ODIE3 »

funny, some more googling got me back here....

Repairing and preserving cracked 78 rpm records

Guess I have this to try...

Curt A wrote:On another record related topic, I found a way to preserve valuable 78's that may be cracked, but not broken into pieces.

The perfect glue for the job is called WeldBond Glue. You can find it by Googling the name and you will probably have to purchase it online, since I have not had much luck finding regular distributors. The key to this method is that WeldBond is a white, water soluble glue, which adheres most types of material - plastic, foam, glass, metal, wood and IS NOT the same as white Elmer's glue or white wood glue.

The method is as follows: place a stripe of the glue along the crack - first on one side - and flex the record slightly while forcing the glue into the crack with a finger. Wipe the excess off with a "damp" - not wet - paper towel while going in the direction of the grooves. Make sure to clean all excess off the grooves, then proceed to do the same on the other side. Lay the record on a glass surface or other smooth flat surface and let it dry for 24 hrs. Then play the record with a steel needle to clean any leftover glue from the grooves and to smooth out the seam. Your record may make a slight sound passing over the repair, but it will be as solid as new and no danger of further cracking or breakage. I have used this method successfully on many rare records, but remember it is extremely important to use WeldBond glue, not super glue or any other type.
-----------
Richard
Columbia Type B 181874 - was my uncles, who found it in a ghost town (so he told me).
Victrola VV-IX 161087 G - was my great grandmothers, I remember dancing with her when I was 4 or so in her parlor.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

I used Curt's method to repair several similar cracks with good success. I even fixed a 1923 Mamie Smith blues record with a half moon shaped part broken off completely and it holds and plays again.
There are several things you need to keep in mind though:

- this will only stabilize the record. Every play will increase wear and damage along the fixed crack.
- the record will still click every time the needle hits that repair.
- You have to make sure that the two sides of the crack are completely aligned when you glue, otherwise it will skip and cause excessive wear when playing.

Since there really is no way to completely fix a cracked record, this is the best way I know to stabilize and preserve it.

Good luck
Andreas

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Beside some sort of fix, the biggest favor you can do that record is to not play it on a wind-up phonograph. Hope you're using a "modern" turntable, with a light stylus pressure, (at least light compared to a heavy acoustic reproducer with a steel needle).

ODIE3
Victor Jr

Post by ODIE3 »

i stopped playing it once I found it was more important than me 'liking' it. I have my eye on a "modern" model (Technica AT-120) someday "soon".
-----------
Richard

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I agree with what was posted above. A steel needle will be hard on the crack, chip out edges of the groove every time you play it.