New York Music Lovers record label

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: New York Music Lovers record label

Post by OrthoSean »

I guess my memory is still relatively good for 46, yet half the time I can't remember why I walk into my kitchen at times. :lol:

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Wolfe wrote:NAG on the IA does have some detailed RD 4 the NML.

https://archive.org/details/NAG53/page/n5?q=subject%3A
The listings for these records are spread out through many issues of the NAG. But thanks to the NAG issue # 36 (part 18 of the series on NML) I find out my NML # 1140 I mentioned in an earlier post is indeed two Banner sides. One is by the Imperial Dance Orchestra, one is Ben Selvins Newport Society Orchestra.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Does NAG have any info on record 1142? Charleston Love and Broadway Charleston by the NML Syncopators?

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Just for fun, here's a National Music Lovers ad from February, 1924 The popular issues are rarely seen up here in Toronto, but the operatic and concert series turns up from time to time.
Jim
Attachments
nationalmusiclover.jpg

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I love seeing this ad! Thanks for posting it. I wonder if the devil is really on that label? Probably just for the ad. marc.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

The opera series is fairly uncommon. They labels use pseudonyms for the artists, few of whom are of much note. The most interesting is Florence Cole Talbet- her Black Swan sides were issued under a pseudonym.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Pretty sure I have the M'Appari one somewhere and one or two others of the opera series.

There was a Dance and Popular, Operatic, Old-Time, Band, Sacred Songs, Irish Songs and Novelty Songs series, all with their own label color. I guess you picked what you wanted - like Irish Songs - and got your set of 8 records for your 3 dollars. I wonder if you knew or could pick the actual titles in the set beforehand or what.

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

Looking at that opera ad, it looks like, for that low price, you got what was listed, no cherry picking!