Berliner "sound quality" 1894-1900

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Rastus10
Victor I

Berliner "sound quality" 1894-1900

Post by Rastus10 »

Before replying "well, what do you expect for something recorded that far back?" which is certainly fair, my inquiry is if indeed there was any substantial "improvement" in sound quality to Berliners during the almost six years that they were recorded and pressed; especially those towards the end of the run in 1899-1900.

Weren't there numbers etched on many of the labels that signified horn length or distance or some such thing? Did those result in any change as to what one hears?

"Improvements" are noticeable in other labels after about 1902-04, even if some would say that some Victors became less spontaneous and more bland, shall we say, after the move to Camden; and then some Columbias are rather soft and distant as contrasted to earlier recordings. These are broad statements, of course; not the point of the thread.

I don't own many Berliners, but have listened to nigh onto 150 or so. Obviously, there are many more "out there," and doubtless some of you have quite a few.

Thanks in advance.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Berliner "sound quality" 1894-1900

Post by epigramophone »

The most significant improvements were the reduction in surface noise and the smoother sound which resulted when Berliner's acid etching method of recording onto zinc was replaced by Johnson's wax process.

recordmaker
Victor I

Post by recordmaker »

When Fred Gaisberg stared with Berliner he describes the singer using a mussel and the piano being boxed in with the sound going in via tube to the recorder and Berliner hand cranking the machine. By the 1899 period electric motors were used to drive the turntable the performers were in front to a medium sized horn (possibly more than one horn on occasions ) this suggests a substantial increase in speed regulation and sensitivity of the equipment and thus the type and professionalism of performers that could be recorded.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

FWIW, of the few Berliner records that I've played on a Victor Orthophonic Credenza, they sounded surprisingly good to me. Yes, a lot of surface noise, but also some fairly decent bass. I was actually kind of impressed.

MisterGramophone
Victor I
Personal Text: I love shellac!

Post by MisterGramophone »

Berliner sound quality is pretty good judging by early 7 inch pre-dog Victors, I don’t know about the black-labeled Berliners though.
Gramophone :pig: