Bacigalupi's Chinese Counterpart ?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
bearcat
Victor O

Bacigalupi's Chinese Counterpart ?

Post by bearcat »

This record was found many years ago inside a common Victrola in Wisconsin. I had assumed it to be Japanese. I was wrong. Eventually I met a Japanese man who had his PhD in Chinese studies who jotted some notes and translated what he could for me. The hand lettered paper pasted over a Victor Monarch record appears to contain a descriptive from a storeowner about how the phonograph works. The writer states that the store always carries new phonographs. Located in the Gold Mountains (San Francisco). Meaning this record survived or escaped before the Great San Francisco Earthquake. The salesman paper pasted over the early Chinese release was inked by two colors. I asked my translator if the lettering was done by a 'sign painter' and he said no. There is a store address given with numbers but the street unreadable. If any of you Filterfans can work magic and find more info it would be greatly appreciated. I may try to find a black light.

Victor Monarch Matrix 1868 seems to be in the early Oriental Series recorded 1902-1903 Cantonese 10". The #46 is in the runout area is to me unknown. Single sided.

Also included are pictures of notes the translator left me.

Plumb Blossom Opens For The Second Time (written horizontally). No. 5 (written vertically)seems to be the title. A take from a Chinese Opera? With culturally different instruments, scales and tonalities the music at first listen is quite jarring. After multiple listens (played once on a modern player and recorded to cassette) it is very enticing and I wish I knew the lyrics, characters etc. It is interesting musically to get to know something this completely different. We are all brought up and trained to hear A440 instruments playing European scales.

I have looked at some maps of Chinatown. I found the numbers 909 on Dupont St. on a 1885 map which was later changed to Grant Avenue. There could easily be other 909's. The 909 on Dupont is listed as Chinese General Merchandise.

So was the label created by Bacigalupi's Chinese counterpart? What is the mystery address? How did the record survive? What machine was this displayed on? How was it displayed? Any remaining materials or photographs, letterheads pertaining to this store? One answer to any of these questions would be awesome.

Rock On
bob stutz

bearcat
Victor O

Re: Bacigalupi's Chinese Counterpart ?

Post by bearcat »

IMG_1185.jpeg
IMG_1185.jpeg
Attachments
IMG_1194.jpeg
IMG_1193.jpeg
IMG_1192.jpeg
IMG_1190.jpeg
IMG_1189.jpeg
IMG_1188.jpeg
IMG_1187.jpeg
IMG_1186.jpeg
IMG_1185.jpeg

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

What a nice record! :coffee:

James.

bearcat
Victor O

Post by bearcat »

With the latest post on a Cantonese record getting great responses, I figured I'd bump this one to see if I can gain some more information.

bob stutz