Bessie Smith on Columbia 81893 and other records

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Bessie Smith on Columbia 81893 and other records

Post by Wolfe »

For the OP's consideration, the DAHR has the recording date for the Myers record. The record itself is a few years later. :)

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

I'm learning a bit about the grading system. The Bessie Smith is probably a G+, certainly not an E. Unfortunately my disappointment in this latest batch of records I bought is growing. Both the one-sided Columbias have tight cracks in them. They're playable, but still . . .

I find auctioneers don't know how to handle these old records. They stack them up a foot high, then pick them up by the edges. Sometimes they don't even lay a stack flat. And the buyers don't either. You might inspect some records and they're fine, but between then and an hour later when you buy them things have changed and not for the better.

Cody K
Victor III

Post by Cody K »

Don't feel too badly. Once upon a time, and not really all that long ago either, I restarted my collecting with about a thousand 78s for a hundred bucks. A quick look before loading them made me think this was a most excellent acquisition. After a week or so of sorting and cleaning, I donated most of them to the Salvation Army. I think there were probably a milk crate's worth of keepers out of the whole lot, and none of them at all special. But it was a fun experience anyway.

No, folks in general don't seem to know how to handle 78s. If they know what records are at all, they seem to think in terms of more-durable vinyl, and handle them accordingly -- roughly -- with unfortunately predictable results.

While it may not have been the treasure trove we all hope for, I hope you'll be able to get some pleasure out of the keepers you do find in your haul!
"Gosh darn a Billiken anyhow."- Uncle Josh Weathersby

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Even finding a Bessie Smith in G+ is not that common of an occurrence and Bessie is one of the more commonly found blues artists. Once in a while you get lucky but not very often. Blues and jazz records in good condition are usually found at record shows and auctions and you pay accordingly.
I just took a close look at the photo of the Bessie Smith "St. Louis Blues. That is a great find because the cornet player is none other than Louis Armstrong!

Jim

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

That wasn't the OP's record in that picture. A Bessie and Louis Armstrong would indeed be a great find. But I'd grab any Bessie Smith record I saw and call that a good day. :D

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

While I can honestly say I've never, ever found a Bessie Smith "in the wild" while having handled likely several hundred thousand 78s in my time, at a Wayne show a few years back, there was a guy there who had boxes of her records. I'd never seen such a sight (nor did he come back to sell again), but they were all a buck apiece. I bought over 50 of them, mostly all different and condition certainly varied. A nice copy of "The St. Louis Blues" with Louis Armstrong was among them. I was pleased!

Sean

Cody K
Victor III

Post by Cody K »

I found a Bessie in the wild in a junk shop once. Cost me a buck. It's by far the most beat-up record I own. Probably 85% noise and 15% Bessie. I use it to demonstrate to young 'uns the importance of putting records back in their sleeves.

Sean, that sounds like a mighty good score, especially for that kind of money!
"Gosh darn a Billiken anyhow."- Uncle Josh Weathersby

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

OrthoSean wrote:While I can honestly say I've never, ever found a Bessie Smith "in the wild" while having handled likely several hundred thousand 78s in my time, at a Wayne show a few years back, there was a guy there who had boxes of her records. I'd never seen such a sight (nor did he come back to sell again), but they were all a buck apiece. I bought over 50 of them, mostly all different and condition certainly varied. A nice copy of "The St. Louis Blues" with Louis Armstrong was among them. I was pleased!

Sean
Did you spot any blue & gold label (Columbia) Bessie Smith records in those boxes ?

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

They were all either flag, black label viva-tonals or the blue and gold acoustic variety. None on the later 30s blue and gold Columbia label that I saw.

Sean

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

The Bessie record that's in my collection that's in the best shape is "Lady Luck Blues"on late blue gold band Columbia.It's hard to find Bessie's records in top condition.The first records (originals)I got by her came from Jerry Donnell.edisonplayer