"The Charleston" on Ebay

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

"The Charleston" on Ebay

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

The Edison diamond disc of "The Charleston" by the Golden Gate Orchestra is presently on Ebay with an opening bid of $99. Pretty high for such a common record, but I'm not too surprised! There is one bid on the disc with less than two days to go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Charleston-by-Golde ... 0331383775

:squirrel:

Rocky

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: "The Charleston" on Ebay

Post by MordEth »

Ouch. Only 5 bids, but it went for $406.25. I suppose “The Charleston” is a bit more rare than it is on 78, though.

— MordEth

[hr][/hr]
eBay Item #150331383775

“Charleston” by Golden Gate Orchestra, Edison 51542, N-

flip side: “Mamie” by Frank Silver’s Orchestra

Edison 51542, Golden Gate Orchestra, “Charleston” (-C)/Frank Silver’s Dance Orchestra, “Mamie” (-B), grade: N- (a nice copy of one of the most sought-after Edison records)

(This auction is one of a group of high-grade Edison records, all in Edison sleeves. Buyers are presumed to know the special playback requirements of these “vertically” recorded discs. Letters in parentheses following titles designate “take” where more than one take was likely issued.)

NOTE: I will not terminate any of my auctions, even if no bids have been made, and even though I am offered amounts likely to exceed auction prices realized. So, please do not ask.

Also, my use of the “jazz” category should not be construed as a representation that a record offers jazz or is of jazz interest. I use the “jazz” category as a catch-all for pre-war jazz, hot dance, sweet bands, pop, and celebrity 78s, due to the absence of such categories. I do not guarantee musical content; bidders are expected to have enough experience to have some idea of what a record might offer, or realize that they are taking a chance. In some auctions, usually of obscure records, I might insert a sound clip. If I haven’t, it will probably be difficult for me to provide sound clips in response to inquries, because records, once listed, are taken to a different location for packing when auctions close.

Also, due to changes in eBay policy (requiring shipping costs and options to be stated in advance, which is impossible), if you pay immediately, before you are sent an invoice, the amount you pay for shipping, and/or the method of shipment stated for such payment might NOT be the actual cost and option. See more about this below, and in my e-mail notice to winners after auctions close.

GRADING: “N-” means record has full shine, no wear, few signs of use; “E” means record has most of original shine, shows little wear, but signs of use: minor marks or scuffs, consistent with the grade (anything more consequential is noted specifically); “V” means obvious wear and use, little shine remaining, but should play satisfactorily (recorded sound clear; static and extraneous noise is present, but does not overwhelm); “G” means heavily worn, with static and extraneous noise impairing listening enjoyment; “F” and “P” mean very worn to excessively worn, with listening difficult to impossible. “+” (plus) or “-” (minus) is used to indicate a somewhat better or worse grade. “/” is used to indicate a split grade, e.g. G/V means that the first side is “G”, the second side is “V”. Defects such as cracks, digs, and edge chips are noted, but some minor scratches, scuffs, and marks not likely to affect play, and minor label damage and impairments, if not disfiguring, may not be noted for lower grade records, where consistent with the grade (anything more consequential will be noted). My grading is primarily visual. Where reference is made to the playing quality of a record, I have tested (partially played) or played it on an Audiotronics 300-E Classroom Record Player (except Edison discs, which are tested/played on a Dual 1209 turntable, using appropriate cartridge and stylus).

My photos may have blurriness, glare, reflections, and shadows, and/or poor centering. These photographic faults do not constitute or mask defects which I have not mentioned in my descriptions. LPs photographed in shrink or plastic wrap may appear particularly unappealing.

IMPORTANT: Due to the recent change, requiring sellers to state shipping costs in advance, it might not be possible for me to adhere to my long-standing policy in the following paragraph. I offer my apology in advance to anyone to anyone who winds up paying more than actual postage and insurance. My notice to winning bidders, after auctions close, will provide more details.

POSTAGE and insurance are charged at their estimated ACTUAL COSTS. Records are packed when auctions close (multiple wins are combined into a single parcel), resulting parcel is weighed, and postage and insurance are added to total of winnings. No extras, such as charges for “handling” or materials used, are added; and parcels are sent using the postal option chosen and paid for by buyers. I do not try to profit by mailing winners their items; any overcharge will be slight and unintentional, resulting from the inaccuracy of my scale. For more terms and information on grading, postage and payments (payment must be delivered to me within ten days, via PayPal):

http://docks.home.texas.net/GRADING,POS ... YMENTS.htm

OVERSEAS bidders are welcome, but should be aware of the possibility that, if winnings are one or two records of minimal value, the cost of mailing could exceed the value of the records. (Surface/economy service is no longer available, and the cost of sending a single 78 rpm record will be $18.00 to $20.00 or more; sending a single 45 rpm record will be $5.00 to $6.00 or more) In such cases, winners will be expected to pay promptly. I will no longer accede to requests that records be held to be combined with future purchases, unless bids are pending on items currently running. Payment by PayPal is now required. Winners of several or more 78s should expect to pay substantial amounts ($35.00 or more) for postage. There is also the possibility that parcels may be detained in customs, and subjected to inspection and assessment of duties. I use sturdy cardboard boxes (for 45s and LPs, as well as for 78s, where appropriate), and will not use lesser, inadequate packaging in order to reduce postage.

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

I note that the poor economy didn't keep the buyer from shelling out over $400 for this diamond disc. Obviously, rarity and demand will always prevail. This rendition of "The Charleston" is not rare, but as the banner song of the 20s, it will always be in demand.

:( But where's my copy? :(

Rocky

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Well, it only takes two bidders to get crazy and I doubt that this will be the standard prize for this record in the future.

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

WDC wrote:Well, it only takes two bidders to get crazy and I doubt that this will be the standard prize for this record in the future.
I hope you're right Norman. If not, I will never have the pleasure of listening to the song by playing my own copy on my own phonograph. Listening to the Golden Gate Orchestra on CD just doesn't convey the same feeling.

It's interesting to note that "The Charleston" was not released on Blue Amberol.

Rocky

richardh

Post by richardh »

I can't believe that that disk would go for that amount! That is amazingly high!

Its a nice version, but I still prefer the one by the Savoy Orpheans. It took me years to find my copy and up until I joined that "other" board I'd never heard any other rendition. I was surprised at how different the same tune could sound. THe UK version sounds like a much stricter tempo that the US one which, to me, sounds much more laid back. Here is the Savoy Orpheans version for you to listen to:

Savoy Orpheans - The Charleston

RJ 8-)

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

The Savoy Orpheans' version of "Charleston" is indeed lively. The Golden Gate Orchestra version on Edison DD is undoubtedly a very tame recording of the song, yet I still like it. My favorite is unquestionably Ben Selvin's Vocalion.

Rocky