Canadian Capers ~Selvin`s Orchestra

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
bart1927
Victor II

Re: Canadian Capers ~Selvin`s Orchestra

Post by bart1927 »

richardh wrote:Bart,

I have listened to the recording a few times and although the value of that third note may not be quite what the muisc says it should be I think that the instuments sound "natural" and the pace of the music feels right.

If you speeded it up I think it would just sound too fast. I have some software that enables me to digitally alter the speed of mps recordings by very small incriments...I haven't had an oppotunity to do this yet....but to me the transfer you have done feels right. Well done. It sounds great.

But to be really sure I still need to hear more! :D

RJ 8-)
Hi Richard,

Thanks for your feedback. And I will be posting some more this weekend, I promise!

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

richardh wrote:Bart,

I have some software that enables me to digitally alter the speed of mps recordings by very small incriments...
RJ 8-)
What software is that? I´ve been looking for a simple piece of software that allows me to change both speed and pitch at the same time. But all I find is software that will change the speed without changing the pitch, or changing the pitch without changing the speed! The reason I´m asking is because I now "tune" my records by playing along on my keyboard while playing the record simultaneously. That means I have to run to my turntable constantly, changing the speed a little, starting the record again, etc. I also noticed because the sound of the turntable and the keyboard are coming from different directions it´s harder for me to determine the proper speed than when all sounds come from the same speakers. If I transfer the record to my computer and play the file while playing my keyboard (actually a piano program on my computer) all sound comes from my computer speakers, making it much more easy to detect any dissonants. I plan to do all my transfers at exactly 78 rpm in the future (actually, that's 77.92 rpm here in Europe, using a speed strobe). Then I transfer it to my hard drive, do some real time speed (and pitch) adjustment with this piece of software, while playing the keyboard. When I find out how much speed change is needed I speed up or slow down the file using the speed change function in DC-Art.

So I just need a simple (and preferrably, free) program, to speed wav files up, with changing the pitch! Years ago I found a simple one, just a slider and a readout of the percentage of change. But that was not on this computer, and I can't remember the name of the program.

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Bart,

Thank you! I have a very worn almost unlistenable copy of this I put away. It's nice to hear it as it should sound. The speed sounds good to me.

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

hillndalefan
Victor I

Post by hillndalefan »

Often, the sheet music key is NOT the one used by the dance bands, because of the wind instruments, as stated above. F is most likely. The record speeds really did not standardize until about 1930. :)