Petrushka ~ B.F. Goodrich Silvertown Cord Orchestra

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
bart1927
Victor II

Petrushka ~ B.F. Goodrich Silvertown Cord Orchestra

Post by bart1927 »

Here's a recording by one of my favourite orchestra's. According to Brian Rust American Dance Band Discography there are only 20 issued recordings by this orchestra. The orchestra was lead by Joseph Knecht, and I guess they were sponsored by the B.F. Goodrich tire company. Vocal refrain by the Silver Masked Tenor, whose real name was Joseph M. White.

I present to you the B.F. Goodrich Silvertown Cord Orchestra with "Petrushka", recorded September 14, 1926 and issued on Victor 20204-A.

Enjoy!

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Re: Petrushka ~ B.F. Goodrich Silvertown Cord Orchestra

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

The Silver Masked tenor gimmick is a hoot! It originated in their very popular radio broadcasts. The idea was that the tenor was a famous concert artist who was in effect moonlighting with a dance band. Joe White imitates John McCormack but I don't think anyone was fooled. ;) The only other tenor I can think of who might have sung with a dance band yet wanted to be secret about it would have been Frank Munn. He sang under the name of Paul Oliver on the Palmolive Hour with Olive Palmer...who was really Virginia Rea.
Jim

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

In case anybody was wondering: this "Petrushka" has absolutely no musical relationship whatsoever with the ballet music composed by Igor Stravinsky.

What a hoot!

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

bart1927 wrote:I guess they were sponsored by the B.F. Goodrich tire company.
Bart,

I’d always figured that this was the case—why else have ‘B.F. Goodrich’ in the name?

Thanks for sharing this recording.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

NashTwin8
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Learning and having fun!

Post by NashTwin8 »

MordEth wrote:
bart1927 wrote:I guess they were sponsored by the B.F. Goodrich tire company.
Bart,

I’d always figured that this was the case—why else have ‘B.F. Goodrich’ in the name?

Thanks for sharing this recording.

— MordEth

Of course you guys are correct in your assumptions about this band's sponsorship. "Silvertown Cord", "Safety Silvertown" and similar variations on the "Silvertown" theme were widely-used and well-known B.F. Goodrich trade names for several decades, perhaps even into the early 1960s. Probably millions of "BF Goodrich Silvertown" tires traveled the highways of America (and beyond) over the years. :geek:

Thanks for the great music!

Take care,

Jerry K

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Thanks for posting the great tune Bart. Your interests seem to lie in the mid-late 20s as far as popular music. I have many musical interests but the dance music from ~1920-29 is my favorite!

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

Valecnik wrote:Thanks for posting the great tune Bart. Your interests seem to lie in the mid-late 20s as far as popular music. I have many musical interests but the dance music from ~1920-29 is my favorite!
Mine too!