The 78's you always find.

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: The 78's you always find.

Post by CarlosV »

One that seems to pop up like a weed is The Third Man Theme, by Anton Karas. Great movie, although I don't think I need 10 copies of its soundtrack.

Menophanes
Victor II

Post by Menophanes »

In Britain, and in the field of what may loosely be called classical music, the following are always somewhere on eBay: (1) the 1926 Columbia English-language version of Leoncavallo's Pagliacci (with Frank Mullins as Canio); (2) Stokowski and the Philadelphia's 1936 (I think) Victor/HMV version of Tchaikovsky's fifth symphony; (3) the scherzo from Litolff's Concerto Symphonique no. 4, played by Irene Scharrer (piano) and conducted by Sir Henry Wood (Columbia, early 1930s). I have owned the first two and still have the third.

Oliver Mundy.

bfinan11
Victor I

Post by bfinan11 »

CarlosV wrote:One that seems to pop up like a weed is The Third Man Theme, by Anton Karas. Great movie, although I don't think I need 10 copies of its soundtrack.
That's a shame, I was just about to list a lot of 10 copies of it on Yankee Trader, I'm trying to cut down on duplicates.

Other ones that I have about as many copies of:
John McCormack - Keep The Home Fires Burning
Alma Gluck - Carry Me Back To Old Virginny
Benny Goodman - Six Flats Unfurnished
Percy Faith - Swedish Rhapsody
Gene Autry - Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
Francis Craig - Near You/Red Rose
Rosemary Clooney - Come On a-My House

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I always find lots of John McCormack. Possibly more than any other singer on Red Seal records.

His Mother Machree is one of several that I see a lot. I like McCormack. But some of that stuff I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

bfinan11 wrote:That's a shame, I was just about to list a lot of 10 copies of it on Yankee Trader, I'm trying to cut down on duplicates.

Other ones that I have about as many copies of:
John McCormack - Keep The Home Fires Burning
Alma Gluck - Carry Me Back To Old Virginny
Benny Goodman - Six Flats Unfurnished
Percy Faith - Swedish Rhapsody
Gene Autry - Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
Francis Craig - Near You/Red Rose
Rosemary Clooney - Come On a-My House
Well, it may be plentiful, but I think that everyone should have a copy of that Benny Goodman disc. Six Flats Unfurnished is a good instrumental and the flip side has Why Don't You Do Right sung by Peggy Lee. :coffee: ;) :)

James.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

The flip side is why you see it so much. I agree, it's a good record. The BG / Peggy Lee red label Columbias are one of those that are common and easily worth buying for 50 cents or a buck.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Another great red Columbia that used to be quite common but not anymore is Count Basie's "Ride On" / "It's Sand, Man!"
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek