The 78's you always find.

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: The 78's you always find.

Post by AmberolaAndy »

*bump*

While I haven’t had the (mis)fortune of finding a copy of “Carry Me Back To Old Virginny” It seems to be a guarantee I will find at least one Ken Griffin or Jesse Crawford organ solo record. I also find lots of Paul Whiteman. I think I have more of his records in my collection than any other artist. While I enjoy his Fox trots, I do not care for much of his waltz stuff. (Probably because I’m not a big waltz fan to begin with.)

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Jesse Crawford sure does turn up a lot. I buy his Orthophonic records sometimes. They're enjoyable to listen to on a full range system.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Wolfe wrote:Jesse Crawford sure does turn up a lot. I buy his Orthophonic records sometimes. They're enjoyable to listen to on a full range system.
Well, hopefully when I restore my 8-4 maybe I will appreciate his records more. :|

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

The Platters, doing "The Great Pretender" and "Only You".

CPBarnum
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Longtime music lover, Grafonola newbie

Post by CPBarnum »

I'm new to the hobby -- and am working my way through the 500-600 or so records from my father-in-laws' collection; TONS of Bing Crosby, Arthur Godfrey, more Bing, Al Jolson, Sammy Kaye, more Bing, some Perry Como, Vaughn Monroe, a little more Bing, Spike Jones, Les Paul ... you get the idea: pretty much all the stuff one would always find was in this collection. (He did have a few fun items, though, including the I Love Lucy mentioned previously and a Buddy Hackett disc).

I made my first buy about a month ago: $20 for about 40 records. Tommy Tucker on Okeh. A few Glenn Miller Bluebirds (I love big band, so that's a win). Nothing earth-shattering.

Yesterday, though, I made my second buy: I see a listing on Facebook for 2 boxes of 78s at $20 ... no problem ... my son went and picked them up today (about 45 minutes away) -- there were 3 boxes, not 2, and I still need to go through them all (probably about 300-350 records in all), but my initial pass (to get rid of funky-smelling sleeves and boxes and sort out the broken records) found a lot of batwings, a few Bluebirds, and a lot of really interesting stuff I need to sort through -- including a Jelly Roll Morton and labels like Savoy, National, Reel, Cowboy, Sage & Sand, Standard and Tower ... and only about 10% red Columbias and Bing. Pretty exciting for this newbie, so thought I'd share a few photos, too. Gonna be a lot of fun working through this batch.
78s 2.jpg
78s 1.jpg

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Hi,

I'm not as knowledgeable about post-war 78's as my focus is on earlier eras, but I can tell you that your Jelly Roll Morton record, if in decent-playing condition, for me would alone be worth more than what you paid for the whole lot.

The Victor V-38000 was their "Race Series" and only used for a few brief years starting in 1929 (when this fine record was made) and ending in the depths of the Depression with the near-collapse of the record industry. There are lots of great jazz and blues records released under this series--many very rare and valuable, although this particular record, while not quite in that category of rarity, is still very scarce and desirable, and copies fetch a respectable sum especially in top or near-top condition.

Congrats and have fun sorting through these--hope you find other gems in the pile :)

Steven

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Jelly Roll Morton Bluebirds I find to be fairly common.

Don't dismiss red (microphone) label Columbias so quickly. Yes, they are thick as fleas, yes, they contain some music that may be not so interesting, but there's a lot that's good, too. Especially if you like big band, as you say. Even some good country and bluegrass got out on red Columbias.

CPBarnum
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Longtime music lover, Grafonola newbie

Post by CPBarnum »

Viva-voce wrote:The Victor V-38000 was their "Race Series" and only used for a few brief years starting in 1929 (when this fine record was made) and ending in the depths of the Depression with the near-collapse of the record industry. There are lots of great jazz and blues records released under this series--many very rare and valuable, although this particular record, while not quite in that category of rarity, is still very scarce and desirable, and copies fetch a respectable sum especially in top or near-top condition.
Great info on the V-38000 series -- thank you!

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

That Jelly Roll is pretty trashed, too. But not a bad junk store or bulk lot buy.

Some of those records, like the Cowboy, may be vinyl. I have had some Cowboy label records I believe. Might still.

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Great info on the V-38000 series -- thank you![/quote]

You're most welcome--glad it was helpful :)

Steven