The 78's you always find.

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Wolfe
Victor V

The 78's you always find.

Post by Wolfe »

Digging through some records I was considering to buy the other day, I came came across a copy of Vernon Dalhart's Wreck Of The Old 97. One I seem to find at least every other time I look through 78's. Of course, it was a huge seller.

What are the ones that you find constantly? Ellington's Take The A Train? Some Danish pop singer that a Yank might not know about?

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Re: The 78's you always find.

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Paul Whiteman's "Valencia" backed by "No More Worryin'"
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

barnettrp21122 wrote:Paul Whiteman's "Valencia" backed by "No More Worryin'"
That's a good one. And Whiteman records in general are all over the place.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Red label Columbias, Deccas, Capitols etc.

I came upon a nice banner label Columbia with Jones & Hare performing "So This is Venice", to find that some clown had painted a sign on it…. :roll:

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Those zillions of red label Columbias. Possibly Harry James's Flight Of The Bumblebee is the one of those that I see more than any other.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

I'll take it; it's not in my collection yet. I also like the Spike Jones version. :P

phono-smitten
Victor I

Post by phono-smitten »

I'm new to collecting and was previously completely unfamiliar with music of this era (currently I'm focusing on acoustic recordings) so I figured I'd just grab some cheap local 'attic' boxes to get started. So far I have picked up 4 separate collections from the Northern IL/Southern WI area. I began to notice some trends. In addition to some German recordings that almost all these collections contained, every single one included some version of Sousa's Washington Post March. One collection contained 2 versions. :shock:

Before I started purchasing discs my impression from what I had read was that I would run across tons of Caruso discs. Not a one in these boxes but enough Washington Post to make you never want to attend a parade or a 4th of July event or even watch any movie ever made in the US that contains one of these scenes! Sorry, no offense to those that enjoy Sousa marches, but it’s hard for me to imagine there was once a time when one may not have been so overexposed to the Washington Post March that one would want to own and presumably play it. ;)

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Well tons of big band era stuff, especially Glenn Miller and Tommy Dorsey. But that is OK by me. I love big band.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Alma Gluck singing "Carry Me Back to Old Virginny"

Galli-Curci singing "Proch's Air and Variations"

The various $7.00 Victor Red Seal versions of the Sextette, save for the 1908 waxing with Sembrich

Selvin's Novelty Orchestra playing "Dardanella"

Joseph C. Smith's Orchestra playing "Hindustan"

Paul Whiteman's "Best Ever Medley" "Japaneses Sandman" and "Whispering" (and of course the aforementioned "Valencia"

Arthur Pryor's band playing "The Whistler and His Dog"

Gene Austin's "Ramona", "Girl of My Dreams" and "My Blue Heaven"

Nat
Victor III

Post by Nat »

Evan Williams singing anything!

Alfred Picaver, ditto.

And $50 offerings of Caruso's "Sole Mio" - or is it the same one, over and over and over?