Bluebird with Odd Matrix Number

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
RDGCrusader
Victor Jr

Bluebird with Odd Matrix Number

Post by RDGCrusader »

Hey everyone.

I've had with me for sometime a very interesting Bluebird. The matrix number is B-642, which surprised me because I never knew Bluebirds were cataloged that low. However, whats on the record is even more interesting. The A side is called, in big letters, "TRAIN" produced by Helen Myers. And that's basically what it is. You can hear a train leave the station and begin to accelerate, and then you can hear porters taking baggage and hawkers walking down the aisle and selling newspapers, cigarettes, etc. The B side is called, also in big letters, "ELEVATOR", also produced by Helen Myers. And you hear a department store elevator, and as the elevator reaches each floor the operator calls out each department on that floor and whats sold on that floor. The record ends with the eighth and final floor of the store. It is marked as the first disc of album BC-52. I took this record to several experienced collectors and all said they had never seen it before. Does anyone know anything about this record? I can post pictures if that helps.

Thanks so much.
-Colin

howardpgh
Victor II

Re: Bluebird with Odd Matrix Number

Post by howardpgh »

Maybe RCA/Bluebird had a sound effects series of records for radio show productions.

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

A neat find!

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

I'm pretty sure the "BC" prefix stands for "Bluebird Children". I've seen (and own) several sets in the series. I know I've seen orphaned discs from sets by Helen Myers also and I may still have them around in one of several crates of random unsorted stuff in the basement. I'm in the process of going through these, a slow process that I do when I have a little time here and there. If I come across them, I'll update here.

Sean

RDGCrusader
Victor Jr

Post by RDGCrusader »

Well the box of records it came in did contain a few other children's records, so that does make sense that its from a kid's album. I would just love to know what album its from, and what other records are in it!

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Thanks to another source, the set was called "Let's Play: Action Games with Sound Effects", a three disc set (as most seem to have been).

Mystery solved!

Sean

RDGCrusader
Victor Jr

Post by RDGCrusader »

Thanks for finding that out Sean. Do you know how available this set is? I'd love to get my hands on a copy.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

That I don't know. I'll keep a lookout for the disc(s) I have of hers if you'd like. As I said earlier, I know I had at least one if not two or even all three in one of my boxes of unsorted stuff. If I find them, I'll let you know. They'd be yours for the cost of shipping. I know I don't have an album for them though.

Sean

jsl151850b
Victor Jr

Post by jsl151850b »

I'll post this 78 on YouTube as 'Bluebird 78rpm Train and Elevator sounds.' today.

(Double-click the video above or click this link to watch the video on YouTube in HD.)

Also... from an incomplete album of 'Songs of the Service',
a 78 of 'The Song of the Signal Corps'.

(Double-click the video above or click this link to go to the video on YouTube.)

Sorry I'm having trouble with the YouTube Links.