Jack Hylton "Bitter Sweet" Selections on Victor

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
OrthoSean
Victor V

Jack Hylton "Bitter Sweet" Selections on Victor

Post by OrthoSean »

Here's another 12 inch Victor Scroll from the collection...Jack Hylton and his Orchestra playing seletions from "Bitter Sweet". This is Victor 36098, 78.26 RPM, 2.5 mil TE, recording date and location unknown (anyone?)...

Enjoy!
Sean

Bitter Sweet Selections, Part 1

Bitter Sweet Selections, Part 2

Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Re: Jack Hylton "Bitter Sweet" Selections on Victor

Post by Viva-Tonal »

Show us the matrix numbers, if possible. Unless RCA dubbed them, if your record is pressed from imported UK metal parts the original matrix numbers may still be there.

If the prefixes are CC followed by a number (assuming this came from HMV), it was recorded at Hayes, Middlesex (or Small Queen's Hall) no later than the end of 1930. Elsewhere in the UK, the matrices will have a CR prefix.

The 12 inch Hayes matrices began anew at 2B.1 at the beginning of 1931. This continued through the transition to the opening of Abbey Road in November 1931. This series lasted until 24 August 1934, when new series began, OEA.1 and up for 10" items, 2EA.1 and up for 12".

richardh

Re: Jack Hylton "Bitter Sweet" Selections on Victor

Post by richardh »

Now this is interesting, I didn't realise that Jack Hylton had recorded a selection of songs from Bitter Sweet in both a 12" and a 10" version. I would imagine that there would have been recorded at around the same time. On the song "If love were all" it is interesting to note that on the 12" version the pace of the song is much slower than the version on the 10" disk where, in comparison, they really get a shift on (although I suppose it would be a better tempo to dance to?) Mine was transferred at 78rpm - about the same as Seans trnasfer - so I don't think the issue is to do with transfer speed.

Just for comparison here is the link the my 10" disk, also by Jack Hylton, of a selection of music from th same play.

BITTER SWEET - JACK HYLTON 10" VERSION

BTW thanks for posting your 12" Sean, I didn't even know there were two different recordings.

RJ 8-)