Helen Morgan "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man"

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
OrthoSean
Victor V

Helen Morgan "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man"

Post by OrthoSean »

Last one for now, here's Helen Morgan singing "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man" from "Show Boat" on a 12 inch Brunswick 20115, this is a really nice clean copy! 78.26 RPM, 2.5 mil TE, 9 August 1932, New York City.

Enjoy!
Sean

Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man

richardh

Re: Helen Morgan "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man"

Post by richardh »

Boy, you sure have been productive with the transfers today! Great song and one I have liked for a long time. I have a version on a UK Columbia 12" disk but with a different vocalist - thing is I liked it so much that over the years I have worn the disk out.

Nice to hear a very clean copy.

RJ 8-)

Henry
Victor V

Re: Helen Morgan "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man"

Post by Henry »

Helen Morgan created the role of Julie La Verne in the original Ziegfeld production of "Show Boat" (1927), and also played Julie in the definitive movie version of 1936, still the best and most faithful version on film. In life, Ms. Morgan was addicted to brandy, so the lyric of the intro. to "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man of Mine" is quite poignant, and ironic. So when we listen to this version as posted here, we are hearing THE definitive rendition, as Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein II would have heard it. More information may be found in the book "Show Boat: the Story of a Classic American Musical," by Miles Krueger (Oxford Univ.Press, 1977).

Many thanks for posting this! It's a genuine historic document.