"Charley My Boy" on Columbia 109A portable

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
bart1927
Victor II

"Charley My Boy" on Columbia 109A portable

Post by bart1927 »

Here's a video I made of my other talking machine, a Columbia 109A, playing "Charley My Boy" by Bennie Krueger's Orchestra on Brunswick 2667. Piano duet by Ohman and Arden, vocal refrain by Billy Jones. Recorded July 24, 1924. Enjoy!

[youtubehd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgJ3D6HNdFM[/youtubehd]

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Re: "Charley My Boy" on Columbia 109A portable

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

Good sound coming from that little phonograph! A Bennie Krueger dance band record is always an ideal choice to showcase a lateral machine.

:squirrel:

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Thanks Bart for posting one of my favorites from the 20's. I've got a couple different versions but not this one. I have one on 78, can't remember which label and my favorite is the Georgia Melodians version which I have on Blue Amberol and Diamond Disc.

I'm amazed at the sound you can get out of a little portable phonograph like that. I've seen advertisements of a man rowing a boat with his girlfriend in the front, while on another seat an Amberola 30 plays away. Seems though pretty impractical compared to a suitcase portable which would sound like your Columbia 109A!

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Yes, very nice indeed! I've got this disc somewhere and haven't heard it in quite some time. I'll have to set it aside next time I find it among my acoustics, which are scattered in record cabinets all around the house!

You've got quite a nice setup there, Bart, that wall behind your machine looks like 1927 all over again! Great stuff!

Sean

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

OrthoSean wrote: I've got this disc somewhere and haven't heard it in quite some time. I'll have to set it aside next time I find it among my acoustics, which are scattered in record cabinets all around the house!

Sean
I could have made exactly the same comments myself. Don't know how many times I've scoured the record storage looking for that one record I would like to hear NOW and can't find. Especially challenging when you are looking for an etched label Diamond Disc in dim light!

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Valecnik wrote: Especially challenging when you are looking for an etched label Diamond Disc in dim light!
No kidding! My DDs are all in the basement (don't worry, it's DRY there!) and whenever I go digging through DDs, I have to drag a stack over directly under the fluorescent light to see what I'm looking at!

Sean

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

OrthoSean wrote:
Valecnik wrote: Especially challenging when you are looking for an etched label Diamond Disc in dim light!
No kidding! My DDs are all in the basement (don't worry, it's DRY there!) and whenever I go digging through DDs, I have to drag a stack over directly under the fluorescent light to see what I'm looking at!

Sean
For me nothing short of full daylight or a directed beam makes it bearable to read those etched labels. What's worse, is that alot of my DDs are in record sleeves covered with a plastic jacket. The light usually reflects funny off the bag and makes it real torture to read them. Nice paper labels stuck to the plastic jackets would be the way to go when I have time...