Jack White's new vinyl LP - lots of tricks

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Victor VI

Jack White's new vinyl LP - lots of tricks

Post by 52089 »

Jack White (of White Stripes) is releasing a new vinyl LP this week. Regardless of what you think of the music, the vinyl features several unusual features:

1) one side plays center-out, like the early Pathé discs
2) one track has multiple entries that merge to a common conclusion. I emphasize track, because it's only the one track that has this feature, unlike the old puzzle records which did this on entire sides
3) there are "hidden" tracks under the labels(!) - one plays at 45, the other at 78

And yes, there's more. See this page:

http://thirdmanstore.com/jack-white-lazaretto-12-vinyl

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Re: Jack White's new vinyl LP - lots of tricks

Post by Roaring20s »

Nice to see these old ideas and enhancements revived on contemporary media.
It makes the media an artwork, a homage and just plain interesting.

James.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

If he wants to goof around with this stuff that's his prerogative - I don't really see the point. But it'll probably cause headaches for people with automatic turntables.

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

Wolfe wrote:If he wants to goof around with this stuff that's his prerogative - I don't really see the point. But it'll probably cause headaches for people with automatic turntables.

heh-heh-heh :twisted:
De Soto Frank

celticguitar666
Victor I
Personal Text: V V IXA ,Edison Amberola 30 Edison A150 Victor RE45 Radiola

Post by celticguitar666 »

That's one the great things about him he is always pushing boundaries and doing something interesting which why I am a great fan of his work
Dwight
Hippocrates: Life is short, art long, opportunity fleeting, experience deceptive, judgment difficult.

celticguitar666
Victor I
Personal Text: V V IXA ,Edison Amberola 30 Edison A150 Victor RE45 Radiola

Post by celticguitar666 »

I am going to pick up my copy today I wonder if I can play it on my Radiola? Hmmmm
Dwight :squirrel: :coffee: :clover:
Hippocrates: Life is short, art long, opportunity fleeting, experience deceptive, judgment difficult.

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

I may have to pony up for this disc!
Jack is just nerdy enough, and has pockets just deep enough, to maybe inject some life into new shellac record production. :coffee:
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

STARR-OLA
Victor I
Personal Text: still looking for a chocolate record!

Post by STARR-OLA »

I just heard the news,sounds like a bad eighties song! ha im glad hes doing this good for him,i got a great sounding late 50s rca victor this will sound good on.

RetroJulia
Victor Jr

Post by RetroJulia »

I find this amusing, how people enjoy and find some music interesting on how it sounds. Disregarding if the music is his type.
I myself experienced this, for the first time, when I was younger on some digital music. The genre wasn't my cup of tea, but the track was so well recorded and mastered, the instruments were so well separated, that I just listened to it because it sounded so ... good. :)
Spirit of sound

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

RetroJulia wrote:I find this amusing, how people enjoy and find some music interesting on how it sounds. Disregarding if the music is his type.
I myself experienced this, for the first time, when I was younger on some digital music. The genre wasn't my cup of tea, but the track was so well recorded and mastered, the instruments were so well separated, that I just listened to it because it sounded so ... good. :)
Welcome to the forum RetroJulia. I've learned slowly over the years not to trust fixed ideas of what my tastes are (or aren't), and they've got wider and wider - once upon a time I didn't like any opera, for example, until I was lucky enough to buy an EMG gramophone. The fidelity and delivery knocked me for six, and changed my ideas. They continue to expand. Long may it continue.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?