Can I play Beethoven on my Edisonic Beethoven?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Victor VI

Re: Can I play Beethoven on my Edisonic Beethoven?

Post by 52089 »

marcapra wrote:
90001-L Bellini Ensemble Unique (is) SONATAS (Ludwig van Beethoven) [piano 8 in c op.13 "Pathétique"] <2>
90001-R Bellini Ensemble Unique (is) SONATAS (Ludwig van Beethoven) [piano 8 in c op.13 "Pathétique"] <1>
Are there really Edison DDs in the 90,000 series? I've never heard of that series before! It's strange that there's no piano sonatas in the mix except for the Bellini ensemble, whatever that is. After all this was a time when Beethoven's Minuet was more popular on records than his Symphony no. 5! There are some symphonic works listed above, such as the Leonore, Egmont, and Coriolan overtures, but no symphonies or string quartets. Unfortunately, Edison records were just starting to enter the serious classical market with complete works such as Schubert's Piano Trio on four DDs, of which I own just one; Dvorak's String Quartet "American", which I own on 2 DDs, Haydn's String Quartet, Schumann's Piano Quintet, etc. Unfortunately, no Beethoven string quartets or sonatas, which would have come had the Depression not reared its ugly head just when the Edison records had become so good in 1929!
IIRC, this disc was more of a test pressing on a 12" Diamond Disc and was never formally released. I think the Collector's Guide mentions it in the "special pressings" section.

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

marcapra wrote:I did play some Beethoven on my Beethoven today, but I had to cheat and put on my Fletcher 78 adapter. At first, I put on my recording of the "Ghost Trio" with Rudolf Serkin on piano. I could tell though that the fidelity was a bit too high to play on an acoustic phonograph. The album had a copyright of 1948. Way too late! So I looked over my 78 library for something old. And I found it. A 1927 recording of Beethoven's STring Quartet in C-sharp minor, op. 131 by the Lener String Quartet of Budapest! Columbia Masterworks had been aggressively recording the classics at this time and I think they had a bigger instrumental library than even Victor. Columbia was celebrating the 100th anniversary of Beethoven's death as a Beethoven Centennial.

If you're going to "cheat" and play a lateral disc, I think there's a Victor red-seal of Paderewski playing Beethoven's "Minuet in G"... ("Think men... THIIIIIINK!" - Harold Hill )

:)
De Soto Frank

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Frank, then I probably have it. I have a lot of Paderewski including his own Piano Concerto and Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Yes Beethoven's Minuet is the tune that Harold Hill and his little band play for the parents in The Music Man! I saw that movie when it came out in 1962 when I was 12! Where were you in '62?

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

marcapra wrote:
90001-L Bellini Ensemble Unique (is) SONATAS (Ludwig van Beethoven) [piano 8 in c op.13 "Pathétique"] <2>
90001-R Bellini Ensemble Unique (is) SONATAS (Ludwig van Beethoven) [piano 8 in c op.13 "Pathétique"] <1>
Are there really Edison DDs in the 90,000 series? I've never heard of that series before! It's strange that there's no piano sonatas in the mix except for the Bellini ensemble, whatever that is. After all this was a time when Beethoven's Minuet was more popular on records than his Symphony no. 5! There are some symphonic works listed above, such as the Leonore, Egmont, and Coriolan overtures, but no symphonies or string quartets. Unfortunately, Edison records were just starting to enter the serious classical market with complete works such as Schubert's Piano Trio on four DDs, of which I own just one; Dvorak's String Quartet "American", which I own on 2 DDs, Haydn's String Quartet, Schumann's Piano Quintet, etc. Unfortunately, no Beethoven string quartets or sonatas, which would have come had the Depression not reared its ugly head just when the Edison records had become so good in 1929!
Acc. to the list they were recorded in 1924 in "WOR" (does anyone know where that is?) and they were "approved". If they were not issued there us typically an "(ni" next to the coupling number. That's not the case here. The only coupling numbers listed in the series were 90001-900006,and 900901. 900001 was the only "approved" coupling in the series. I've never seen one in the 90xxxx series though.

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

marcapra wrote:Frank, then I probably have it. I have a lot of Paderewski including his own Piano Concerto and Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Yes Beethoven's Minuet is the tune that Harold Hill and his little band play for the parents in The Music Man! I saw that movie when it came out in 1962 when I was 12! Where were you in '62?

Mark,

I "wasn't even" in '62 ... ;)

But, growing-up in Cat-lick School, every spring, we got to see a movie, shown in the school cafeteria, on twin Bell & Howell 16mm projectors. The film at the end of First Grade (1973)was "The Music Man" (1962 version), and it made a lasting impression on me, and established my life-long "crush" on Shirley Jones ! :oops: :)

It is my favorite stage musical, and the way they filmed it kept much of the flavor of the stage version. My only criticism of the film is the tinny Warner Brothers sound-track, typical of the era.

So many wonderful character performances in that film !

:D
De Soto Frank

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Valecnik wrote: Acc. to the list they were recorded in 1924 in "WOR" (does anyone know where that is?) and they were "approved".
WOR is still on the air. Here are two historical oriented links...
http://radio.about.com/od/unitedstatesr ... e-1922.htm
http://www.nytimes.com/1984/09/17/arts/ ... story.html

James.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Roaring20s wrote:
Valecnik wrote: Acc. to the list they were recorded in 1924 in "WOR" (does anyone know where that is?) and they were "approved".
WOR is still on the air. Here are two historical oriented links...
http://radio.about.com/od/unitedstatesr ... e-1922.htm
http://www.nytimes.com/1984/09/17/arts/ ... story.html

James.
"WOR" refers to the city in which it was recorded, not the radio station. Just don't know what that could be. Most Edison Discs are recorded in "NYC", (New York of course) but a few recorded in LON, London, PAR, Paris, WDC, Washington. AHHHHHH got it. WOR is West Orange?

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

It is my favorite stage musical, and the way they filmed it kept much of the flavor of the stage version.
Frank, I guess you saw a later stage revival of The Music Man. I liked it too, but in '62 I saw it as a big Cinerama type of movie in the huge Fox theater in downtown San Diego. This is a big ornate theater built in the 1920s. I now go there to see the San Diego Symphony. I remember whistling the "76 Trombones" song during the intermission and the crowd turning around to see me! You're right about that film having good characters in it like Buddy Hackett and Paul Ford. And the Beatles must have liked it because they sang the love ballad from it "Till There Was You" on their first Ed Sullivan appearance! I also like "My Fair Lady" especially Rex Harrison singing "Why Can't Woman, Be Like a Man"!

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Valecnik wrote:
marcapra wrote:
Acc. to the list they were recorded in 1924 in "WOR" (does anyone know where that is?) and they were "approved". If they were not issued there us typically an "(ni" next to the coupling number. That's not the case here. The only coupling numbers listed in the series were 90001-900006,and 900901. 900001 was the only "approved" coupling in the series. I've never seen one in the 90xxxx series though.
This disc is pictured on p. 41 of the Collector's Guide to Edison Records by Copeland and Sherman. The label is typewritten and the matrix number is filled in by hand. The accompanying note reads as follows: "On August 9, 1924, a recording was made of Beethoven's Sonata Pathetique by the Bellini Ensemble Unique on a 12" blank. While the recording was never officially offered for sale, catalog 90001 was assigned and some demonstration discs were pressed."

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

Interesting 52089. So there's at least a small possibility that one of these could turn up, very unlikely though.