The Worst Edison Record Ever

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Timo Gramophone
Victor O

Re: The Worst Edison Record Ever

Post by Timo Gramophone »

I love victorian sentimental ballads! Will Oakland was great in my opinion... Yes, I admit, that sort of song may not be everyone's taste. But well, I think Edison-type victorian sentimentals are more interesting than 1920s dance music. Yeah, call me crazy ;)

- Timo
Attachments
will_oakland.jpg
will_oakland.jpg (4.66 KiB) Viewed 2739 times

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Timo,

That's what makes this hobby great, not everyone has the same taste, which is good. If we all liked the same music on these old records, imagine how much more expensive they would be!

Sean

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

OK, since it is true confessions time, I will admit it. I kind of, sort of, like Uncle Josh. :oops:

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

FloridaClay wrote:OK, since it is true confessions time, I will admit it. I kind of, sort of, like Uncle Josh. :oops:
This is beginning to sound like an AA meeting.

[hesitantly stands up]
Hello, I'm Keith and I'm a recovering Josh-a-holic. It all started with a record, just a single little cylinder. It seemed innocent enough. Some days I would sneak off and have a listen, just once. Then one day I bought another record, and later another. One thing led to another until I had a full-blown raging addiction. Aunt Nancy said it was just shameful what I done.....ha, ha, ha, haaaaaaa.....

ambrola
Victor IV
Personal Text: Be Careful What You Say, You Can't T ake It Back!

Post by ambrola »

VintageTechnologies wrote:
FloridaClay wrote:OK, since it is true confessions time, I will admit it. I kind of, sort of, like Uncle Josh. :oops:
This is beginning to sound like an AA meeting.

[hesitantly stands up]
Hello, I'm Keith and I'm a recovering Josh-a-holic. It all started with a record, just a single little cylinder. It seemed innocent enough. Some days I would sneak off and have a listen, just once. Then one day I bought another record, and later another. One thing led to another until I had a full-blown raging addiction. Aunt Nancy said it was just shameful what I done.....ha, ha, ha, haaaaaaa.....
I just spit my drink out laughing. I used to buy them, but if you have heard one, you've heard them all. My favorite song is Red Wing.

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

Some books say that Edison recorded only what HE liked.Not true!I think some hot selections they had to sneak past him while he napped.Sometimes he had strange song couplings on his Diamond Discs.As the late Jerry Donnell once told me,"Edison was WIERD!! :lol: edisonplayer

ambrola
Victor IV
Personal Text: Be Careful What You Say, You Can't T ake It Back!

Post by ambrola »

There are some great songs on Cylinder and DD. Aint She Sweet by Johnny Marvin and This DD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmtd7vDuxY4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozTeeMTrebo

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

My vote: She Hasn't Done Her Hair Up Yet, by Ada Jones
btw, does she pronounce it Wainbow in her Rainbow record?
Dave

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Dave D wrote:My vote: She Hasn't Done Her Hair Up Yet, by Ada Jones
btw, does she pronounce it Wainbow in her Rainbow record?
Dave
Well, of course I had to go to YouTube and listen to it. Kind of fun. I expect in those days, not having her hair up was a euphemism for a "loose woman" as a "proper woman" would not have worn her hair down in public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2qgdR9jmqc

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

"On the 5:15"

Any title with Lullaby Mother Sleep Hawaiian Father

Most if not all titles by:
Freida Hempel Elizabeth Spencer Manuel Romain

Records with Hawaiian Songs and old 1800's songs like Cradle Song.

I had a guy offer me several records for 10.00, I went through them all had that rim flake and Elizabeth Spencer and Walter Scanlan on black label or similar run of the mill titles, I passed on them. I have become more discriminating in Edison Discs and Cylinders.

I only prefer early vaudeville, popular songs, certain military bands, Fox Trots and Jazz of the mid-twenties to late twenties.