The Worst Edison Record Ever

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: The Worst Edison Record Ever

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Governor Flyball wrote:I apologize if I sound too serious. I agree with you. I do not like the sappy sentimental stuff either. Discovering that the overly sentimental tune like "Granny with its historical significance made me cringe!

When I lived in England many years ago, I was fortunate to meet at the CLPS Mr George Frow. I recall suggesting as a young novice that Edison recorded more of the maudlin variety of song and he took obvious offense! He said it wasn't true and I was immediately lectured on the wide and excellent variety of recordings Edison made.

I subsequently collected many Edison cylinders and discs and found that Edison's output was no different and in some ways superior to Victor's or Columbia's at the time. In fact I have a pile of dozens of mint maudlin song Columbia records from the 1915 to 1923 period which I cannot stand to play.

However some of the songs are classics. I remember the Lewis James version of Carolina Mammy I found over 50 years ago. I later found it was a 1922 hit of Jolson's. I guess it was popular in its time.
Yeah, I’m sure many of the same sappy ballads were also recorded for Victor, Columbia and Pathé. (Maybe by different singers but they were still recorded) Yet Edison gets all the blame.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Regarding the question here, I will listen to any GOOD music. A heart song is not a great genre, but a good singer like Henry Burr could even redeem "Break the News to Mother." His version was a lot better than Vernon Dalhart's!

Edison records are usually pretty good. Ballads (Manuel Romain, etc.) are good and the singers Edison hired did a good job. I don't like Will Oakland but he's got a nice voice. If I'm going to listen to sentimental songs, then I usually go for Baritone solos on Victor instead of tenor solos on Edison Blue Amberols.

Even Hawaiian guitar solos are fine by me. My favorite is "Kohala March" backed w. "Honolulu March." Of course, it's Louise & Ferara recording on Victor batwing acoustic--so it should last for decades.
(Flamesuit on and zipped.)

Now for the Sixty-four Dollar Question.

I heard once that there was an Edison record, a 2-minute wax cylinder, where they recorded Beethoven's Fifth Symphony (abridged, of course) with a musical ensemble consisting of nothing but banjos. :roll: :lol:

Please tell me that actually happened.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Regarding the question here, I will listen to any GOOD music. A heart song is not a great genre, but a good singer like Henry Burr could even redeem "Break the News to Mother." His version was a lot better than Vernon Dalhart's!

Edison records are usually pretty good. Ballads (Manuel Romain, etc.) are good and the singers Edison hired did a good job. I don't like Will Oakland but he's got a nice voice. If I'm going to listen to sentimental songs, then I usually go for Baritone solos on Victor instead of tenor solos on Edison Blue Amberols.

Even Hawaiian guitar solos are fine by me. My favorite is "Kohala March" backed w. "Honolulu March." Of course, it's Louise & Ferara recording on Victor batwing acoustic--so it should last for decades.
(Flamesuit on and zipped.)

Now for the Sixty-four Dollar Question.

I heard once that there was an Edison record, a 2-minute wax cylinder, where they recorded Beethoven's Fifth Symphony (abridged, of course) with a musical ensemble consisting of nothing but banjos. :roll: :lol:

Please tell me that actually happened.
Henry Burr is definitely one of those artists I can listen to on of my acoustic machines guilt free. I can’t say the same about Skip James on Paramount (In The unlikely chance I ever find one). But that’s a topic for a different thread.