The Worst Edison Record Ever

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
FloridaClay
Victor VI

The Worst Edison Record Ever

Post by FloridaClay »

I have been toying with the notion of trying to build a complete set of electrically recorded Diamond Discs, probably just a pipe dream due to space limitations. Anyhow, I just bought a group of 11 of them in excellent condition. One of them is my candidate for possibly the worst thing Edison ever recorded. It is #52115, "Momsy" & "I Told You I'd Never Forget You," Theo Alban, Tenor. What a turkey!

What are your respective candidates for the worst ever Edison recording? (And yes I know there are a lot of candidates for this ignominious honor!)

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Re: The Worst Edison Record Ever

Post by De Soto Frank »

What? A "toikey" on the Edison Label ?

Inconcievable!
Attachments
Wallace Shawn - inconceivable.png
Wallace Shawn - inconceivable.png (101.48 KiB) Viewed 3779 times
De Soto Frank

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

So far, from what I've heard, I'd nominate most anything "waxed" by Will Oakland... :shock:
De Soto Frank

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Pretty much all of the records, with the exception of the ones marked with a red star, fall into this category... :)
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

OK, Curt, well, I'll be glad to take any non "Red Star" discs you don't want by the Georgia Melodians, Golden Gate Orchestra, Duke Yellman, B.A. Rolfe, Tennessee Happy Boys and The New Yorkers. I'll even pay the postage! :lol:

Frank, you beat me to Will Oakland!

Sean

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Aloha Oe by Frieda Hempel. Bad enough on Diamond Disc but on Royal Purple Amberol? Yuck!!

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I have been toying with the notion of trying to build a complete set of electrically recorded Diamond Discs, probably just a pipe dream due to space limitations.
A complete collection of all of Edison's electric Diamond Discs is probably a pipe dream just due to space limitations! Wow! Do you know how rare and expensive some of these DDs are? Space limitations would be the last obstacle to getting a complete set of these unless money is no object. Many of these records can't even be found and the prices of some sought after titles can reach into the two and three hundreds in an auction setting!

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

"pipe dream, noun: a hope, wish, or dream that is impossible to achieve or not practical."

Merriam-Webster
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Wagnerian
Victor II

Post by Wagnerian »

Anything with "Ireland/Erin", "Mother" or "Heaven" in the title.

BA3013 therefore wins the top prize with "Ireland Must be Heaven Becauses Mother's There" - ugh!

Tim W-W

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Wagnerian wrote:Anything with "Ireland/Erin", "Mother" or "Heaven" in the title.

BA3013 therefore wins the top prize with "Ireland Must be Heaven Because Mother's There" - ugh!

Tim W-W
:lol:

Yes, bless his soul, Edison did not pass by much that was Victorian maudlin.

Clay