Just a Little Drink (encore)

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
beaumonde
Victor III

Just a Little Drink (encore)

Post by beaumonde »

Since Fred (eccentricgroove) mentioned the Paul Whiteman version of this tune, I thought I'd post it (and its discmate) for everyone, as my first foray of substance on this new Forum. :ugeek:

Just a Little Drink Paul Whiteman and His Orchestra (v. Billy Murray-Lewis James-Elliott Shaw-Wilfred Glenn) Vic 19666; ⅚/25
http://www.box.net/shared/sr4mxjc2kn

This is a weird one:
Ah-Ha! Paul Whiteman and His Orchestra (v. Billy Murray-Lewis James-Elliott Shaw-Wilfred Glenn) Vic 19666; ⅚/25
http://www.box.net/shared/2hbmsgeu4k
Adam

WDC
Victor IV

Re: Just a Little Drink (encore)

Post by WDC »

Very interesting versions, thank you!! :)

eccentricgroove
Victor Jr

Post by eccentricgroove »

Thanks for posting both. I am very familiar with Victor 19666. I had a friend and back in 1974, he was heavy into all things Victor and had a great collection of early electric dance bands. He also had a fondness for 1964 Chevy Impala 4 door hardtops. I remember driving around with him and a cassette player in the Impala with both these sides and playing them over and over. Unfortunately, he died of a heart attack at age 39. I never found out what ever happened to his record collection and phonos.

Fred

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

Hi Adam, thanks for those great tunes. Once again great transfers and restoration! I'm resonably satisfied with my own efforts in this field, but they pale by comparison. I can't remember if I have asked you before (or did I ask someone else, on the other board) about your setup? Of course I can't go back and check. I seem to recall you also had a VSP and a DJ-turntable with various custom styli and a TASCAM cd-recorder. Or am I confusing you with somebody else?

Btw, I solved my download problem. I installed Firefox as a second browser and now I am able to download your files, instead of just playing them.

Kind regards,

bart1927

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

Bart, that's me :geek:

I'm glad you got your browser problems sorted out. I think you'll prefer Firefox for most things, besides box.net.

Adam
Adam

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

A.,

Thank you, great sides. that Ah-Ha was very interesting, I liked it. Makes me think of The Perils of Pauline and other serials like that. :D

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

beaumonde wrote:Bart, that's me :geek:

I'm glad you got your browser problems sorted out. I think you'll prefer Firefox for most things, besides box.net.

Adam
Hi Adam. I hope you don't mind, but I have some additional questions regarding your transfer set-up. Apologies in advance if I may have already asked some of those before. What software do you use to rip your files from the cd-recordable to your computer? Do you also apply some kind of normalization? (to make sure all your tracks have the same average volume, which comes in handy if you want to make a compilation cd). Do you also use ClickRepair? Were you the person who told me he used a setting of 80-100% on the decrackle mode?

Finally: When I look at my audio setup I think the limiting factors are my power-amp (8 year old, cheap Sony unit) and my speakers (2 Sony speakers, came with my first stereo system). Do you perhaps have any recommendations for me? I´m not looking for anything really expensive and high-end, just a nice system that´s ideal for playing "our" kind of music.

Thanks in advance!