'Ol' man Mose'--Eddy Duchin/Patricia Norman

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Viva-Tonal
Victor II

'Ol' man Mose'--Eddy Duchin/Patricia Norman

Post by Viva-Tonal »

This may well have been a controversial record 70 years ago. I first heard of it via Rust's AMERICAN RECORD LABEL BOOK, in the section about Parlophone. He says 'In November 1938, Parlophone issued Eddy Duchin's Ol' Man Mose. It was instantly withdrawn on the grounds that the vocalist, Patricia Norman, used a four-letter Anglo-Saxon expletive repeatedly throughout.'

It came out here on Brunswick 8155. Here's a dub from my copy:

http://www.box.net/shared/dljxrenu0r

Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Re: 'Ol' man Mose'--Eddy Duchin/Patricia Norman

Post by Viva-Tonal »

I guess no-one caught it here in the US in the old days.

Several years ago, when I worked at KTPB radio in Texas (Kilgore College's public radio station, since off the air), I occasionally got a Sunday evening fill-in shift, and from 6 peeyem to 10 peeyem we'd carry a syndicated programme called THE SWINGIN' YEARS. (Sent on five 7" reels of tape every week!) I was rather surprised when 'Mose' was on the playlist on one of the reels. I auditioned it the night before, in the middle of my normal Saturday evening shift. Sure enough, it was the same recording, uncensored, un-anything else. And it aired without incident.

I sometimes wondered if she wasn't saying 'bucket' in such a way as to not 'pop' the microphone?

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Viva~Tonal,

Great one. We could write a book on mis-interpreted lyrics I'll bet. I remember reading about a recording of By The Beautiful Sea that caused quite a stir when it was first issued. "Over and under and then up her a**" rather than up for air was what it sounded like! :o .... :lol:

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Post by Viva-Tonal »

Thanks! I've a mind to post it over on the gramophone forum, asking about that Parlophone item.