4-in-1: They all stary whistling Mary & Happy go lucky you

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
richardh

4-in-1: They all stary whistling Mary & Happy go lucky you

Post by richardh »

I have recently found another of those UK 10" Homophone 4 in 1 disks which feature two alomst full length songs on each side. Its a 10" 78 rpm record and so to do this the grooves are ultra fine.These are hard to find in good condition as steel needles quickly wear these disks. Here is side A from my disk and it features two great songs "They all start whistling Mary" and "Happy go lucky you". The disk dates from 1930.

4-in-1 They all start whistling Mary & Happy go lucky you

RJ 8-)

Edited to upload an improved transfer
Last edited by richardh on Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WDC
Victor IV

Re: 4-in-1: They all stary whistling Mary & Happy go lucky you

Post by WDC »

Richard, nicely bouncing songs. The sound quality is quite impressive. I can easily imagine how quickly they would wear out. It must be almost like playing a microgroove with an ordinary steel needle.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Excellent! I've never heard Fred Douglas sing Whistling Mary. I don't think he made a bad recording in his whole career.
Who does the vocals on Happy Go Lucky You?
Both great songs Richard, thanks for sharing them.

richardh

Post by richardh »

Hi Shane,

I was a bit rushed putting up my transfers yesterday so forgot to add the band details for this disk. The first song is credited to Bernie Blake & his Orchestra (no vocal credits given - so thanks for the info for that track). The second song is credited to Louis Ramel & his band (again no vocal credit). I wonder if these band names were a cover for other more well known bands to moonlight and do some recordings on the side as I have never heard of either of these bands before.

Interestingly the flip side of this disk features Ray Starta & his Ambassadors playing "Stop the sun, stop the moon". No vocal credit givn but I am sure it is Elsie Carlisle on that track. The second song on the flip side is The twelve rhythm rascles playing "Say that you were teasing me".

Here is the transfer of this second side:

4 in 1 Stop the sun, stop the moon & Say that you were teasing me