Paramount Records thrown into the Milwaukee River

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
edisonplayer
Victor IV

Paramount Records thrown into the Milwaukee River

Post by edisonplayer »

Hi!I remember hearing that after the Paramount Records pressing plant in Grafton,Wisconsin closed that former employees tossed many of them into the Milwaukee River.On the PBS TV series "History Detectives"there was an episode that showed scuba divers scouring the bottom looking for some of those records.They came up empty handed.I kind of doubt that story.IF they were thrown in the Milwaukee River,they'd be long gone after 80-some years.The plant closed in 1932.Any comments?edisonplayer

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Paramount Records thrown into the Milwaukee River

Post by Curt A »

A lot of water has gone under the bridge and over the dam since the company washed up... I think they just got sold down the river...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Phototone
Victor III

Post by Phototone »

Shellac records are really not waterproof. Long submersion in water would cause them to disintegrate.

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

There is something in a book I have about Paramount about kids breaking into the old factory and sailing records off the roof over a period of time. :o

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Nat
Victor III

Post by Nat »

Reminds me of a beer party I went to while in college, where some of the guys started using one-sided red seal victors for skeet shooting. I managed to rescue a few Carusos - nothing special, but agonizing waste. Likewise Whitman College simply tossed thousands of 78's into dumpsters in the 70's - including albums full of Fonotipias. HOW I wish I'd been there with a pickup....

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

My college got rid of the entire Carnegie-sponsored series of great recordings, produced IIRC by Victor. They came in olive green albums, and the set included a nice oak file drawer with index cards for the entire series. At the time, I had no interest in 78s at all. Ten years later I would have taken the whole shebang. I'm sure this sad tale was repeated many, many times at schools throughout the country.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Henry wrote:My college got rid of the entire Carnegie-sponsored series of great recordings, produced IIRC by Victor. They came in olive green albums, and the set included a nice oak file drawer with index cards for the entire series. At the time, I had no interest in 78s at all. Ten years later I would have taken the whole shebang. I'm sure this sad tale was repeated many, many times at schools throughout the country.
Is this what you're talking about? That would be a great find today. :o

Andreas
ESQ3_094.JPG

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

While there no doubt was some overlap in the contents, the set I remember had thicker albums. It was intended for schools (thus the index, and the Carnegie sponsorship) rather than the consumer market. Thanks for the posting!

victorIIvictor
Victor II

Post by victorIIvictor »

Clay wrote, "There is something in a book I have about Paramount about kids breaking into the old factory and sailing records off the roof over a period of time."

That would be Alex van der Tuuk’s "Paramount’s Rise and Fall: The Roots and History of Paramount Records" (Mainspring Press 2003, Rev. ed. 2012). I think this story first appeared in Stephen Calt's multipart article on Paramount in 78 Quarterly.

Best wishes, Mark

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

You can read about that record sailing stuff - and more- here:

http://www.mainspringpress.com/nyrl.html