Loveless Twins Quartet on Victor 21242 (1927).

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Loveless Twins Quartet on Victor 21242 (1927).

Post by Viva-Tonal »

One of those unusual records you find in places like where I live in Arkansas. Its labels are in such a scratched, worn, battered state that the title on one side is more than half obscured. (I had to find the title via 78discography.com.) It played well enough to have a go at transferring it.

From a book called THE OZARKS' GREATEST HITS: A PHOTO HISTORY OF MUSIC IN THE OZARKS, by Wayne Glenn, in the local library, I was able to find out some information on the group.

Harmon and Herman Loveless (1894--?) were identical twin brothers from Carthage, Missouri. Both served in World War I and graduated from a veterinary school. In October 1919 they married Lela and Lola Teague (1895--?), identical twin sisters from Alba, Missouri. (The book says the two couples would always live in the same house together and each twin would always dress and appear as much like their other twin as possible!)

They toured and appeared on the Chautauqua circuit for a number of years; their routine was singing religious and Hawaiian tunes whilst accompanying themselves on guitars, a ukulele and a mandolin.

However, on this Victor record, they sang a cappella.

Both sides recorded 28 November 1927; transferred at 78.26 rpm.

'Lead kindly light'

'Guide me o thou great Jehovah'